Toxic Republican congressperson Marjorie Taylor Greene is angry about space lasers

It’s not you. Keep posting. Post right now if you feel like it.

29 Likes

It sounds like she’s talking about an old idea pitched by L5 space advocates back in the day… put an enormous array of solar cells in orbit, use them to power a microwave emitter, and beam the power to an earth station reciever someplace in the desert. It didn’t seem like such a nutty idea at the time, but like a lot of stuff tossed around then, it was more of a solution looking for a problem. Not sure she understands that there’s no danger of it actually being built…

9 Likes

To be fair, lasers, masers, or non-coherent microwave are all quite valid, studied methods of beaming power back to earth from solar power satellites. The most likely method, non-coherent microwave, would hardly be noticeable, if it drifted off target from its designated rectenna array; the flux-per-square-meter is quite low, although it may very well play hob with TV/radio reception for a while ^^’ .

All this does is expose Madge’s idiocy and ignorance, nothing more. NO ONE is beaming power back to earth with visible lasers, FFS, cuz physics.

21 Likes

Isaac Asimov wrote a robot short story about a solar energy space station where a robot turns into a kind of religious fundamentalist.

13 Likes

I’d say anansi133 and Bobozub are right, probably she read or saw something about orbital power stations and then that info was duly garbled and spewed back out. There was a lot of speculation in the 90’s about that kind of power station, with different designs actually proposed by big-name corps, maybe she caught some of that and put her unique twist on it. I am not a therapist…

4 Likes

It goes without saying that if PG&E had an experimental orbital solar energy platform in the works they wouldn’t be trying to hide it, they’d be hyping the hell out of it. Imagine the P.R. they’d get for being so far ahead of the rest of the world on renewable energy.

17 Likes

Is that a thing? Because I haven’t understood that fucker for years.

6 Likes

Your microwave oven uses non-coherent (standard) microwaves. A maser (Microwave Ampification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) is literally a microwave laser, and emits coherent microwaves, exactly as a laser emits coherent light. In fact, masers were invented a bit before lasers =) .

15 Likes

So it’s a language barrier, then. :wink:

11 Likes
3 Likes

Whoever it is should consider availing themselves of the ignore feature.

In the meantime, it’s like each of your posts are in a little shiny candy wrapper that I get to take off to see what’s inside

19 Likes

USS Portland Successful Solid State Laser Test

Now we just need to slap solar panels on the USS portland and get it into orbit

9 Likes

Easy breezy task. Even WWII battleships can go to the outer space.

14 Likes

She’s not crazy, she’s thinking calm rational thoughts perfectly matched for the demonic zombie apocalypse hellscape that her brain lives in.

14 Likes

Marjorie Taylor Greene is so stupid it is amazing she remembers to breathe.

3 Likes

Oh, but it’s even worse than mentioned. The space-lasers that are causing these fires are being controlled by… (dramatic music)… “Rothschild Inc.” i.e, the Jews! Her utterly unhinged, irrational conspiracy theory is also antisemitic because of course it is.

She’s so committed to this nonsense (e.g. abusing school-shooting victims) that she must believe this stuff, not just believe that it can benefit her (although yeah, that too). At the very least, she’s simulating being this irrational, conspiratorial asshole so completely that she is that person, now.

18 Likes
4 Likes

Some asshole is just jealous of your boogie, right now.

(I know the feeling; unfuck the haters.)

25 Likes

I’m sorry that someone on the BBS is being a dick to you. You always make this place better.

kitty-hugs

34 Likes

It looks like the mods took care of this. (See: General Moderation)

Justice prevails!

23 Likes