Tracking the mysterious [OBJ]

Obligatory Banana Joke

(Just :banana: look :banana: at :banana: it)

22 Likes

The [OBJ] isn’t done with us yet!

Its on the Facebook page too. Weird.

8 Likes

Maybe they’re cyber lifeforms traveling through the BBS? They have their methods.

5 Likes

the raw html thinks its literally the object replacement character. so probably their cms* is either misinterpreting something like an emoji, a line ending character, or even thinking that an ascii encoded file is ut8 or vice-versa – and injecting the obj when it sees something it doesn’t know… or well eldritch gods. my bet is on the latter.

i do like the way it looks in the address bar. chrome gives it a jaunty little space:

(* i dont know if that term is well known… added wikipedia link… and eep – melizmatic already beat me to the “object replacement character” part… oops. )

5 Likes

Seen in the wild!

6 Likes

I’ve seen it on Facebook posts in some of the groups I hang out in.

The only way to know for sure what is supposed to be there is if the author of the post on BB sees it and then tells us what was supposed to be there. But I’m guessin’ there are very few people who care enough to figure out why it’s there.

I spent 2 hours the other day trying to figure out why an arrow was showing up where it shouldn’t on a website I manage with Joomla. Turns out there was a duplicate menu item in another module. It was kind of like an alternate universe where everything was the same except the darn little arrow. No one cared about it but me and it was driving me bonkers.

I’ve wasted a good part of my life tracking down tiny little things on websites I mange when I could have been smelling the roses but I gotta be me.

5 Likes

It’s just an Ongoing Binary Joke.
Never trust an AI.

(Steals NukeML’s foil hat)

8 Likes

7 Likes

10 Unicode characters you’re not allowed to display

6 Likes

https://climatenetwork.org/2022/06/16/eu-hypocrisy-as-a-climate-champion-exposed-at-bonn-climate-conference/

As seen here:

2 Likes

I used to code in BBEdit and loved its “zap gremlins” feature.

I note that zapping gremlins appears in a lot of digital code and image cleanup.

So now I am wondering if the mysterious [OBJ] is the latest incarnation of a gremlin-esque artifact.

Or maybe we finally broke The Matrix now and we can see the glitches better.

5 Likes

QMAGA is involved with the [OBJ]!!!

7 Likes

Q was an amateur.

[OBJ] is here now and [OBJ] will guide you.

Truth is a quantum confinement effect. Watch the DeBroglie wavelengths. Adopt a goat.

16 Likes

Welcome4

12 Likes

[OBJ] thanks you.

The derecho is coming. Invest in sock glue.

8 Likes

Here we go again:

BBS —

BB —

Objection I Object GIF by Archer

9 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t know if some of these are getting fixed after they’re posted or not, but I can’t find an [obj] in that post or the onebox.

3 Likes

I wonder if certain browsers handle the @OBJ differently.

7 Likes