Trailer for A24's movie about the coming U.S. civil war

well, ex machina, devs, anhililation and men werent garbage, were they? what about dredd, sunshine or 28 days later? even the beach wasnt exactly “garbage”, right?

my guess the pitch-lines and trailer is misleading marketing as so often.

e/ I sometimes think of garland as the guy whom christopher nolan actually wants to be (yes, I do think nolan is an overrated hack, though dunkirk was pretty good.).

7 Likes

Science fiction films have a lousy track record for predicting the future (see: well, any SF film that predicts the future based on a current trend). I’m thinking the filmmakers made this film as a sort of talisman to ward off a civil war. I hope it works.

3 Likes

If they had made it a plausible scenario based on real political trends, then they’d be basically producing propaganda for the fascists. Like, people already get too excited for the First Order from Star Wars. Making the “enemy” be the unlikely duo California and Texas, that means you get to depict how it would be very bad to have a civil war without doing the fascists’ flag design for them.

1 Like

Exception to the rule…

5 Likes

Science fiction has never really been about predicting the future. It’s always about things that are happening now, whether the author is making a conscious effort to do so or not.

Not sure this film (or similar films like The Day After) really count as “science fiction” anyway since they don’t appear to involve any technologies that don’t already exist.

6 Likes
1 Like

Somewhat reminds me of this graphic novel. We Stand on Guard: in 100 years, America seizes Canada for its water

3 Likes

we dont know that yet. its just a trailer. at least garland himself says its “classical” sf in your mentioned sense about things right now;

2 Likes

We Stand on Guard was an awesome series! truly a favorite read for me
much like the comment upthread likening to DMZ series of graphic books, i was thinking about this one:

damn strong series, full of despair and truth.

5 Likes

Funny because I know people who are involved in the current negotiations.

One of them is perfect for a graphic novel treatment! It’s the overalls he wears on weekends.

3 Likes

Kirsten Dunst was also in Fargo Season 2. Its a reunion.

2 Likes

I’m very curious about this one. It’s either going to be much more clever and subversive in a “Starship Troopers is actually anti fascist” kind of way than it looks, or it’s going to make me question Offerman’s judgement in a way I never have before.

6 Likes

she’s also married to jesse plemmons. they appear together in a lot of films, like Power of the Dog.
you all probably knew that, though…

captain obvious hotels.com GIF

2 Likes

… awwww

Jesse-Plemons-Kirsten-Dunst-share-ease-of-working-together-on-Power-of-the-Dog

3 Likes

this is clearly fantasy as I didn’t see any mirrored sunglassed fat dudes in trucks weeping over how much they love America then instantly switching to spittle drenched apoplectic red faced raging against woke marxist leftist communist gay RINO teachers

3 Likes

So . . . this is an alternate reality where nuclear weapons were never invented or the film would be a lot shorter, the military doesn’t vet its commanders and senior officers for loyalty, nobody even blinks when a military base switches sides instead of ordering an immediate anti-material strike, so there must not be any cruise or ballistic missles either; there can’t be any anti-aircraft missiles or point defense systems in inventory with all those helicopters flying around so they must have been sold off or never developed; this seems to completely ignore the Navy and Air Force and their formidable capability to interdict and defend airspace; and bizarrely it appears the billions of black budget DARPA and other military research efforts into classified weapons (nanotech, unknown next-gen weapons, unknown-unknowns doing who know what.) have yielded nothing better than dog soldiers and low-flying gunships.

This strikes me as a right-wing masturbatory fantasy barely filtered through a gloss of fear mongering, playing on people’s vulnerabilities and real-world concerns to, at best, make a buck. At worst, this is barely-disguised warmongering propaganda actively encouraging the worst elements of our society to band together and see, yet again, how much of our civilization they can destroy and for how long they can keep it destroyed, while remaining on top in relative luxury themselves.

No, as a nuclear armed military, with distributed ability to launch nuclear weapons (no, it’s not just the president, the system is and has always been set up so that a decapitation strike won’t even slow down the retaliation, just shorten the chain of command), it is not a matter of whether the most powerful weapons in our arsenal get used, but who uses them first and who loses. Which would be everyone.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.