Trailer for AMC's Interview With The Vampire tv series

Originally published at: Trailer for AMC's Interview With The Vampire tv series | Boing Boing

Looks good; and the actor who played Greyworm is starring, so I’ll give it a watch…

6 Likes

Never really cared that much about Louis’ story. He always came across as weak and moody in the book and his constant melancholy was a big turnoff for my teenaged brain at the time. I very much want to see a telling of the The Vampire Lestat instead - sans Tom Cruise of course.

1 Like

Thank you for calling that out, I knew I recognized him but couldn’t quite place the face. This looks pretty darn interesting.

1 Like

Welp, I’m in.

This trailer does look sharp, the actors and set dressing all come correct, this looks like a lot of money was spent on production. Here’s hoping the show lives up to this gorgeous trailer.

1 Like

Indeed. And I’m glad that it seems like the setting of NOLA will not be whitewashed in this version.

1 Like

I wonder if they moved the setting of the story forward a century or so because that way audiences wouldn’t be expected to empathize with a slaver.

2 Likes

Could be… it’s been ages since I read the books, so…

1 Like

I never actually read the book but the movie version was pretty explicit that Louis was a plantation owner who had sex with (and eventually murdered and fed from) the people he enslaved. So responsible for some pretty evil shit even before he became an undead ghoul.

2 Likes

In this version, it seems like he’s a brothel owner who is mixed race…

I vaguely recall that in the books, though…

2 Likes

I read the books as well up to a point; Louis was a rich plantation owner and though they never actively mention him raping any of the enslaved, it can be safely presumed.

I did quite enjoy the scene in the film where he goes mad with regret and burns his own property down, freeing his captives in the process.

2 Likes

I imagine Rice may have used slavery as an intentional metaphor for vampirism since it’s not that big a leap to rationalize feeding from human beings once one has already become accustomed to treating them like livestock.

1 Like

Not sure. Allegedly most of the novel was written in a ‘fugue of grief,’ as Rice had just recently had her young daughter pass away.

Perhaps that may be why it is her best novel, arguably…

3 Likes

Easy to see her grief for her daughter in the character of Claudia…

2 Likes

Absolutely; the movie was good, but the novel was haunting

1 Like

It was… she could write when she wanted to… I think the later books got ridiculous, but Interview and her first Mayfair witches book were solid gothic writing.

2 Likes

Agreed; you could totally tell when she started just ‘phoning it in’ for the money…

Also, I like the fact that it looks like this series will delve into the gay romantic aspects of Louis and Lestat’s relationship, which Rice only hinted at in the novels.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.