Trailer for "Beach Bum," Harmony Korine's new weirdo stoner comedy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/23/trailer-for-beach-bum-har.html

2 Likes

Not to be confused with the other Matthew McConaughey beach movie coming out the same time

1 Like

Roger That! Surf’s up…

Something something “the part he was born to play” something something.

2 Likes

With my favorite Latin disco track ever in the background!

5 Likes

Ugh. Looks like a watered-down Big Lebowski that’s trying at the same time to be more “edgy.” hard pass

6 Likes

Looks insufferable. At least I look forward to reading the reviews.

4 Likes

I got a bit more of a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas vibe. Excesses to the excess. Learns some kind of lesson. Roll credits. I’ll also pass.

3 Likes

That. Looks. Terrible.

4 Likes

Finally, an Adaptation / Road Trip mashup from the mind that brought me the inspiring, madcap hijinx of Kids and Julien Donkey-Boy!

Did… they just throw some darts at a big board with every actor they knew?

1 Like

Korine is an interesting director.
What he has made so far has not been obvious.

1 Like

I felt that too about some of his early movies, but later ones?

So I hesitate to ask, but I’ll go ahead and do so – what was not obvious (and therefore, presumably of value) about Springbreakers? Cuz that movie came across to me like this trailer does – silly, pointlessly crass, stick-it-in-the-eye-of-the-squares! exploitation.

1 Like

One could argue that Kids was exploitative but at least it had something unique and special going for it. I can’t say the same about his other films that I’ve seen.

Wow! They remade The Big Lebowski?!

Here’s a previous generation making essentially the same statement…

…but with perhaps less fear.

Fear? Fear of what?

Nothingness?
Um, the vacuum (is that a better answer?)
Generation after generation of nothing to hold on to?

Um, white people problems?

This trailer makes the movie look terrible and annoying.

1 Like

Huh. I didn’t get that at all. Just because they both revolve around an aging stoner?

Korine films are weird. I didn’t know what to make of Spring Breakers. It was definitely weak on plot and padded out with a lot of annoying “music video” scenes, but it was still kind of interesting. This looks a lot more like that to me.

1 Like