Trailer for new 'Godzilla' movie looks pretty cool

Then spend more time 'round these parts. I found him here.

The notion of Godzilla and Rodan being gods is a bit Lovecraftian, and I like it. I like how much of the trailer is spent on the very contextual ā€œWTF did I just see!!?!!??ā€ moments the people are experiencing.

As long add it wipes all memory of the previous Godzilla movie then itā€™ll be good enough.

1 Like

Odd or even?

Commuter train destroyed? Check. Little Japanese kid in danger? Check.

Seriously though, I went on a rant the other day about WWZ for ignoring the conventions of zombie movies. Were they real zombies without a death and zombie resurrection? If they arenā€™t dead, why are zombie fragments still animated? What are zombies even doing to people? Eating them? Stealing their wallet? What? Itā€™s never made clear. Whereā€™s the damn dismemberment scene, dammit? Someone has get dismembered alive in the last reel! Just painting by numbers in the genre would have helped avoid all the terrible plot holes.

1 Like

ā€œDestroy All Monstersā€ had eleven monsters. I saw it in the theater and the scene where they ripped the earrings out of the girls ears freaked me out.

1 Like

History shows again and againā€¦

2 Likes
1 Like

You might want to recheck that NY shot again. That is Vegas.

Nobody can deny, this song is pure genius.

She? Ah geez, I forgot that. Yet another reason to hate Godzilla 1998. Godzilla is male. Mothra is female. (And thereā€™s a whole series of Mothra movies, featuring ā€œthe mysterious tiny twin girlsā€, and their evil tiny sister!)

America isnā€™t the world.

I agree with the free love thingie, but were there ever instances of Rishathra that didnā€™t conform with Nivenā€™s definition? (ā€œsexual practice outside oneā€™s own species but within the intelligent hominoids.ā€).

I mean, stuff like that certainly happened between humans apparently multiple times, so it canā€™t really be considered bestiality. As a bond-binding practice it does seem rather silly, but as something that happens on a world where humanity is just a hodgepodge of various subspecies it would strikes me as normal as having a white-skinned homo sapiens mate with a black skinned homo sapiens.

It has been quite some time since I read Ringworld, but I seem to remember Rish talk with the little mole people and the bird guys. I really should re-read that book, my memories of it are getting quite hazy as the years go on.

Wowā€¦ again a generic blockbuster that will impress 12-year old kids. Oh noā€¦ now thereĀ“s 2 monsters fighting. sigh

In Ringworld there are only hominids around. That was the point of Ringworld - in the absence of other major species, hominids would diversity and create and fill ecological niches and turn into very extreme forms, seemingly similar to Earth species filling the same niches.

And Rishathra was not practiced with all sub-species anyway. The ghouls where out for mostly cultural reasons and the the water people where out because they were not compatible anymore.

Well, 12 * 2 = 24 soitā€™s good for 24 years old.

Though I admit that Iā€™ll probably watch it once it lands on iTunes or so.

Heheā€¦!

Really? I thought that was a brief glimpse of the Brooklyn bridge getting smashed, but maybe I was wrong. Iā€™ll take another look.

Thought we were referencing the Statue of Liberty in the trailer which is definitely in Vegas. The only bridge I see in the trailer is at 0:51 and 1:00 and that looks to be the Golden Gate to me.