Trailer for Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

Oh, I agree very much with a lot of the criticism too. : )

A double cheeseburger can be very accurately criticized as unhealthy in many ways, and at the same time also be delicious.

4 Likes

Yes, and I agree, it was quite therapeutic. But still the fantasy of a 14-year-old, imo. Again, not necessarily bad.

2 Likes

That’s the thing, I’d like to see him step outside his comfort zone. I think the guy has genuine talent and I’d like to see him apply it to something a little more…subtle. And I get that this is who he is and I’m free to watch other directors…but that’s a different discussion. If he were to do Star Trek, I would love to see what he did with it…unless of course he does the same song and dance, only in space. Then, I’d be disappointed, but not terribly so, because honestly, I don’t think he wants to make anything other than those 14-year-old white boy fantasies.

3 Likes

Some people have seen more subtlety to Kill Bill than (most likely) Tarantino himself:

2 Likes

Bloody tourists…

2 Likes

Did you like Star Trek Beyond (2016) movie?

Worth a try, but Sam Peckinpah’s Salad Days already sets a standard that’s hard to beat.

2 Likes

enterprise-tpol-eyebrow-sneer

2 Likes
4 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Yeah, and maybe it’s there. We see the world as we are, not as it is (I think that’s from the Talmud). Maybe I’m not cultured enough to see it, but I honestly don’t.

It’s likely a case of applicability, of things that are left to the audience to see or not in the work. I like how that particular analysis works well in a “sure, why not?” way, and is only made more credible by accounting for Uma Thurman’s background.

As for me, what I grabbed as particularly accurate and intriguing from that analysis, is the observation that violence in Kill Bill is progressively more subdued as the movies go. Not linearly so, but that’s still extremely unusual from this genre of movies.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.