Quentin Tarantino might migrate to television once he reaches his self-imposed ten-film limit

Originally published at: Quentin Tarantino might migrate to television once he reaches his self-imposed ten-film limit | Boing Boing

1 Like

He’ll likely make a TV show about bare footed ladies

4 Likes

I look forward to seeing how he adapts to his new medium. There are valid criticisms of his work and approach but he’s still a very thoughtful artist whose films have a lot of depth.

4 Likes

A popular auteur director pivoting to prestige TV you say? perhaps the headline should be “Pioneer Boldly Suggests He May Follow the Prevailing Trend in His Industry”

5 Likes

Because he’s never done TV before…

1 Like

I’d like to see either an anthology show, which pays homage to past shows and genres, or something like a gritty spaghetti western on AMC.

4 Likes

That would be great. It would be fun to see something along the lines of “Bounty Law - featuring Rick Dalton” from the storyline in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

2 Likes

It amazes me people think this guy is some kind of great artist.

How many critically acclaimed films do you think someone needs to make in order to be considered a great artist?

I don’t kink shame in general.

That said objectifying damn near all your conventionally attractive female actors is fucking creepy, even if it’s “only their feet.”

3 Likes

The feet thing is weird and i could move past it but it certainly doesn’t help he’s also an asshole

6 Likes

I concur; I have my own negative feelings about him because of his perpetual exploitation of Black culture.

5 Likes

Does Tarantino exclude Marvel movies from his personal definition of film?

I’d settle for one, if it had an original idea anywhere in it. As near as I can tell all he’s ever really done is remake other more talented directors’ work.

Now, to be fair, he has a good eye- I think he’d have made an amazing director of photography for a director with actual talent and vision- But his writing is on par with a 14 year old boy who learned everything he knows in life from reading Hustler magazine. I will admit he has some good insights about the craft of filmmaking, I just don’t think he’s actually contributed to it.

2 Likes

Exactly.
“I’m ready to sell out now. Consider these ten films my resume. Hire me.”

It gets a 92% critics’ score on Rotten Tomatoes and 96% audience score, and if that isn’t critically acclaimed, I don’t know what is.

I get it. Quentin Tarantino is an asshole, and many of his movies are exploitative and masturbatory, but Pulp Fiction is justifiably a masterpiece. The tropes in that movie may seem dated today, that’s only because of how influential it was and has inspired so many mimics since. When it came out in 1994, it was full of new ideas, and was a definitely a defining movie of the 90s.

But by your metric, Steven Spielberg isn’t a talented director. He found his fame by copying matinee serials from the 30s and 40s. Martin Scorsese has been making bank by reworking noir gangster movies from the 40s and 50s. And you must be really hating the current trend of all of the sequels to all of the superhero movies that are just copying themselves, over and over.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.