Trailer for Stephen King's It (2017)

This looks well done. I have to say I was a big fan of Steven King until I read Clive Barker. After reading some of CB everything from SK just seemed very thin and preachy. Sk makes everything black and white, good and evil, while CB paints in shades of gray. One thing I especially like about CB is he will pivot partway into a book to show why the “bad guy” is doing what he is doing. And suddenly you see he isn’t bad, he is just has a different set of priorities and you suddenly find yourself empathizing. In general no one is evil for evil’s sake. They have legitimate motivations that may not be obvious initially but eventually you see the story from every characters view. Unfortunately CB’s health hasn’t been so good in recent years and last I checked some of the series are still unfinished.

5 Likes

Here’s the thing for me. With a couple of (early) notable exceptions all productions based on Kings work, no matter where they are set, have everyone in them speaking like newscasters. And I think, in a curious way, that this value comes from the source. To me the shit lacks atmosphere. Sure maybe there is “creepy,” but where is “Apalatian,” or whatever?
Seems like a small complaint, maybe. But if it says “King” on it, I don’t do it. No matter the medium.

1 Like

It’s the full circle. Stranger Things is very Stephen King-ish. (and John Carpenter-ish, and Spielberg-ish).

Slightly off topic- Do kids still ride their bikes around town? It’s such an iconic childhood moment.

2 Likes

Didn’t you believe that before reading the book? I mean… CLOWNS!

5 Likes

Appropriate, since STRANGER THINGS originated as a failed IT adaptation before assuming its final form.

1 Like

Okay, it seems to be that this film is closer to the novel than the TV-movie (the scene with the abandoned house, the dia-projector scene) which is good for me. The novel has some genuinely horrifying scenes (Patrick Hockstetters demise, fucking lord…), even thou the end and the reveal of Its true form is kind of a lackluster. I may give it a chance.

1 Like

The end of the novel definitely suffers. I can’t imagine it being terribly satisfying as a movie without some rewrites, but if the first half of the movie is pretty good i will give the later half a watch regardless.

2 Likes

True of so many King stories. Great atmosphere, great world, ending sucks. I’m looking at you, Dark Tower. Hopefully the DT movie will be OK.

That’s actually a little disappointing to me, I think being set in the 50s (?) really adds something to the original. But I guess they didn’t want to make the “present day” stuff set in the 80’s, so they had to move everything forward.

Salem’s Lot is also probably my favorite King book, perhaps because it was the first one I read. He was pretty new at the time and I hadn’t heard of him. In fact, the only reason I picked up the paperback was because of the audacious cover; never had seen the likes before or since. The cover was almost solid black with a raised relief of a little girls face, a drop of red in the corner of her mouth being the only thing not black. There was NO title and NO author on the cover. That was it. I figured that the publishing house must have figured it had something very unusual to go with that. Bonus: at the time I was at UT and one of the courses I was taking was (not kidding) ‘Vampirism in Eastern Europe’. At any rate, I was fairly into the novel before I realized, “Hot damn! A fucking good vampire book!”

2 Likes

Agreed, but the “Survive” style music in the teaser… full circle indeed!

1 Like

I’m up for a re-read of it. :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Wow; It was the first lengthy King novel I ever read, when I was 15.

While I have a soft spot in my heart for the made for tv movie, thanks to the incomparable Tim Curry, I have to concur that it wasn’t what it could have been; due to budget constraints and the lack of cinematic technology at the time.

What I am curious about is if this remake remains faithful to the original time frame of the novel; the 7 members of ‘the Losers Club’ were children in the late 50’s and adults in the 80’s.

4 Likes

* The Eyes of the Dragon

2 Likes

Kids in a blanket fort with walkie talkies is just the sort of thing I would expect in a Stephen King book.

2 Likes

IMHO the creepiest thing about the book was the preteen orgy.

Did anyone else catch almost none of the dialogue in this trailer? The sound effects and music were normal volume, but the voices sounded like they were all on a malfunctioning center channel.

2 Likes

Even though I read it as a teen, still thought that was very odd. Doubt it will stay in the film though.

Seems very hyper but then again it’s only the trailer.

I had a feeling I got that wrong. Thanks for the correction :slight_smile:

That’s pretty much the worst part of the book. I alluded to it on a previous post on here too. I’d really rather not have to see that in film