Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

Extra detail.

13 Likes
8 Likes

Quotes worth posting:

My wager is that most feminists support trans rights and oppose all forms of transphobia. So I find it worrisome that suddenly the trans-exclusionary radical feminist position is understood as commonly accepted or even mainstream. I think it is actually a fringe movement that is seeking to speak in the name of the mainstream, and that our responsibility is to refuse to let that happen.

I am not aware that terf is used as a slur. I wonder what name self-declared feminists who wish to exclude trans women from womenā€™s spaces would be called? If they do favour exclusion, why not call them exclusionary? If they understand themselves as belonging to that strain of radical feminism that opposes gender reassignment, why not call them radical feminists? My only regret is that there was a movement of radical sexual freedom that once traveled under the name of radical feminism, but it has sadly morphed into a campaign to pathologise trans and gender non-conforming peoples. My sense is that we have to renew the feminist commitment to gender equality and gender freedom in order to affirm the complexity of gendered lives as they are currently being lived.

As an aside, I know some Transfolk have dropped the F, but hereā€™s why I still use the term TERF - in Melzspeak, it stands for Trans-Exclusionary Reactionary Fanatics.

Sadly, the worst misogynists are often other women.

16 Likes
15 Likes

tumblr_inline_niywavyBgv1qaufm2

11 Likes

The two playing the daughters saved it for me. Brigette Lundy-Paine was Keanu Jnr.

2 Likes

Thea and Billie?

I enjoyed them; the actresses nailed it, channeling the essence of the original Bill and Ted.

Still, that wasnā€™t quite enough to compel me to finish watching it.

4 Likes

I know there has been criticism of The Guardian, due to sometimes publishing transphobic articles/writers. But this seems like a good thing here, a series on trans activists, starting with Pauli Murray.

10 Likes

I think that thereā€™s a big difference between how the US office of the Guardian approaches trans people and issues and how the UK home office does.

11 Likes

I do forget Iā€™m getting US-centric coverage instead of from the UK directly.

This does seem like a valuable series.

9 Likes
10 Likes
13 Likes

ā€œ But itā€™s her competency in so many other areas and her impressive professional track record that, combined with her advocacy, have defined her career and earned her the respect of her peers.

That the media coverage of her nomination as deputy prime minister focused on her work rather than on her trans identity is a reflection not just of her impressive political career but also of the progressive nature of Belgian politics today. It is not hard to imagine that the headlines would have looked very different in another country ā€” even another European country.ā€

15 Likes

Cory Doctorow is also on there.

There was a similar letter in Britain just over a week ago

15 Likes

neil-gaiman-not-kidding

It always makes me feel a bit better about the world when people whose work I love come down on the right side of history. Itā€™s always disappointing when they donā€™t.

14 Likes

Trying to find away around republican obstructions in Michigan. Excellent!!

12 Likes
14 Likes
10 Likes
9 Likes

I havenā€™t read - but looks like an interesting book.

10 Likes