Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

11 Likes

Yup, did. :sob: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes
11 Likes

So, ok, I am really not sure what to make of this, but in the last 2 weeks I have had 3 kids come out as trans and/or nonbinary during office visits. On one hand, yay for being comfortable with me sufficiently to feel safe doing this! On the other hand, my 10 minute recheck just turned into 45 min of talking mom (it is always mom) off the ledge. This is usually a once or twice a year kind of thing for me. Not certain why, and I am happy to be a safe place, but it is an exhausting process.

20 Likes

In case nobody else said it yet, thanks for being there.

17 Likes

Do you know a good psychiatrist for LBGQT+ youths you can recommend to the families? My friend with a non-binary kid has been incredibly supportive of their transition, but even in that case, having another adult to talk to has been helpful for the kid. I imagine doubly so if the parents aren’t supportive or at least trying to make it about them and their feels instead of the kid in question.

11 Likes

I wish I did. Mental health for kids in general sucks. For trans kids, who have some very specific issues, there is not much. UVA has a really good trans clinic run through their peds endocrinology department to deal with the medical end of it, and they offer a lot of support emotionally as well, and we have a couple counselors who are quite good dealing with trans kids. But when it comes to “now you need psych meds” its prety much me. Shall i tell you how much training i had dealing with transgender issues? Hint: any positive integer would be a way way overshoot!

12 Likes

Sounds like they have some good resources, but maybe not enough. You too, sound like you could use extra support for helping trans kids that are in your care (although I know you’re doing a great job).

Is there any way to get additional training (I know! That’s the last thing you want to do), but in this case, it might help. I don’t know when you went through med school, but this was likely not something that was considered to be necessary for general training, and now I think it most certainly needs to be a core part of training for pediatricians.

9 Likes

https://web.cvent.com/event/64535734-3ab3-4aca-a0ee-0352fff0b806/summary

And -
The trans wellness conference has a providers track with CEU’s.

We got this!

9 Likes

I can’t find a green enough “I’m jealous” emoji. VA is getting much better, but not there yet.

6 Likes

Come up for the conference- we’ll have coffee.

6 Likes

I feel like such an academic today! We are almost unique in my practice that we have psychology as an internal department. So I went and asked them what resources we had in the area. Our counselor said he wasn’t certain, but he had a practicum student working with him and that sounded like a great assignment for her. Sending an undergrad to do scut work! In the end, we should have a much better index of how much (or little) support we can access locally. I know of a few resources, but to have a more-or-less comprehensive listing should make my job a good bit more efficient. I love being here for my kids, and that they trust me. But the sort of ongoing support, advice and counseling they will need is not something we are really set up for, and not something you want somebody flying by the seat of their pants for, especially not in a population as potentially vulnerable as this.

12 Likes

Kathy, is this an annual conference? I can’t come this year, but would love to schedule for next. Talked to wife and youngest and I think this could be valuable for all of us!

4 Likes

Yes. I believe this is the 19th year.

Here’s last year’s community schedule

https://www.mazzonicenter.org/trans-wellness/schedule/2019-07-25

And the providers track:

“The professional track provides continuing education credits, where you can learn about the latest professional issues — legal issues, medical issues — among trans people. That track has a registration fee. We get a fair amount of providers and allies who attend to learn how to take care of the trans community.”

At my age and years into transition- I generally only show up if there’s an old friend in town. I served three terms on the Mazzoni Board.

5 Likes

Very cool. I will put it on my calendar!

6 Likes
15 Likes

Good. He can fuck right off.

8 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

One of my favorite people, and the way her story is inspiring folks is just awesome.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2394821/climber-nikki-smith