Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

Which makes him the perfect person to suddenly conclude that no, actually, trans people don’t deserve acceptance. Just like how Charles Darwin recanted evolution and Louis Pasteur recanted germ theory on their deathbeds according to people who don’t like those obviously true ideas.

13 Likes

Tucker Carlson and a bunch of other creationists have started asserting, without any evidence, that no one really believes in evolution anymore. That it’s been conclusively disproven and that there’s no evidence supporting it. They just assert this confidently, with a tone of voice that says “everyone knows this. It’s common knowledge.” They’re using this same technique to dismiss anything they don’t like.

13 Likes

The same way they don’t see the progressive values of Star Trek and whinge about “wokeness” of the newer trek shows…

13 Likes

See also: people complaining about X-Men 97 being woke.

13 Likes

In fact, that’s when I first started getting interested in sci-fi: when my gay cousin mentioned that he read that genre because there was so much hopefulness about human and human-like society in the future.

12 Likes
9 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Today in transphobia (Part 2)

13 Likes
11 Likes

16 Likes

IMG_4170

17 Likes

That’s the kind of positive support we need :hugs:

12 Likes

Here’s a bit from the two Republicans who voted against overriding the veto:

Republican state Reps. Jesse Borjon, of Topeka, and Susan Concannon, from rural north-central Kansas, said parts of the bill were too vague for them to vote to override Kelly’s veto after both voted for the measure last month.

The bill would have given providers until the end of the year to phase out puberty blockers and hormone treatments for existing patients, but Borjon said he was bothered by how the bill wouldn’t have allowed those patients to continue their care after that.

In a brief speech explaining her “no” vote, Concannon told fellow House members, “These decisions belong between the team of professionals and the parents.”

“The youth need our help, not government overreach,” she added. “To all who have reached out, I hear you.”

So it sounds like one of them actually listened to constituents who reached out to her, because she voted for the bill originally. Now it sounds like she’s not only refusing to override the veto, but that she actually opposes the bill. I will take progress, even if it’s tiny.

Source

14 Likes

Not the perfect place for this, and it’s not recent enough to put in dead celebrity either, but I just learned about this guy today and it’s important to show that there have always been allies:

13 Likes

I’d say that two months is close enough, especially when it’s someone important whose death might not get noticed by the general public.

10 Likes
4 Likes

Click through for the whole thread…

This really was one of my favorite films as a kid…

the last unicorn fuck this movie GIF by Maudit

16 Likes

This is sort of on the basic side, but good general info and very useful for a starting point. Also, confessing my own ifnorance, i had never thought of HRT for nonbinary folks. Interesting! Also, SciShow is pretty damned cool.

11 Likes

I saw that video earlier today, but I didn’t watch it. I will. I do know a lot of nonbinary people, actually. And I suspect their numbers are going to grow over the next however many years, because, like most things, gender isn’t a binary, it’s a spectrum. So eventually, I think we’ll see fewer people (not fewer as in a small number, but fewer than today) identifying as either purely trans or cis, and more people identifying as nonbinary. And yes, many of those people will also need HRT and other gender affirming treatments.

12 Likes

I really love that at the end, they added that trans and nonbinary people opting to not go on HRT at all is also a valid option.

12 Likes