Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

11 Likes

The head of the Bernelli Sleeping Hermaphroditus from the Louvre has been my gmail profile pic for 20 years. Since gmail started.

IMG_3643

16 Likes

15 Likes

Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime

12 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes

The study, conducted by experts from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, examines reported regret rates for dozens of surgeries as well as major life decisions and compares them to the regret rates for transgender surgeries. It finds that “there is lower regret after [gender-affirming surgery], which is less than 1%, than after many other decisions, both surgical and otherwise.” It notes that surgeries such as tubal sterilization, assisted prostatectomy, body contouring, facial rejuvenation, and more all have regret rates more than 10 times as high as gender-affirming surgery.

12 Likes
11 Likes

Here’s a related story that includes experiences and comments from someone directly affected by the legislation.

8 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes

Crossposted from Magical History Tour:

15 Likes
18 Likes

Oh gosh I love him so much.

12 Likes
12 Likes

copperbadge

When I was in college, round about 2002 or so, I did a paper on hate groups that necessitated a couple of visits to Stormfront, a white supremacist website and message board. One of the pages on the site was a “children’s page” operated by the child of Storrmfront’s founder, which was a unique form of horrifying. But I also remember looking at a photo of the kid on the site and thinking, that poor fuckin’ kid, what kind of chance did he ever have?

But it was just a paper and that was just a photo of a child I didn’t know, so I turned in the paper and graduated and got on with life.

In 2016, @archwrites posted a link to an article by the Washington Post titled “The White Flight of Derek Black” (sorry about the paywall, Arch’s post quotes some relevant parts here). I thought it looked like an interesting read: it was about a white supremacist named Derek Black and a group of campus activists at the school Black eventually attended, who set out to see if they could change his mind about race with radical kindness. In large part because of their work, Black eventually renounced white supremacy and became an antiracist.

And then I hit a photo in the article and gasped, because I recognized it. I’d seen the same photo on the Stormfront children’s website. The kid I’d seen and pitied was grown up and had gotten out. Immensely satisfying to see.

But it was just a news story about someone I didn’t even know, so I posted about how pleased I was to see it, and I got on with life again.

This morning, I woke to the news (sorry, it’s the Daily Fail) that R. Derek Black, now 35, has just published a memoir, The Klansman’s Son: My Journey from White Nationalism to Antiracism. And in the epilogue, they come out as trans.

I can’t imagine better news I could have heard about them – that they’re out, they’re thriving, and they’re embracing themself.
Congratulations, kid. It’s a great new photo.

starstuffandalotofcoffee
hope you don’t mind but I found the Post article extremely good, so here’s a gift link for anyone who wishes to read it in full.

copperbadge
Oh I don’t mind at all – that’s actually great, thank you! Reblogging so people can access the article through the link.

15 Likes

Season 3 Wow GIF by The Office

11 Likes

A friendly reminder that TERFs tried to posthumously “recruit” the late, great Sir Terry Pratchett, and that his daughter and Neil Gaiman gave them a smack down…

16 Likes

Shaun has a great video on this topic:

13 Likes

Glad to see Rhianna Pratchett shutting this offensive nonsense down with prejudice and Niel Gaiman joining in.
I know the right wingers and the fascists and the TERs do it all the time, but how could they read about these worlds and not see the creators were very progressive?

How can they possibly be so blind?? Pratchett in particular engages in a lot of discussion about gender and even more discussion about the importance of accepting everyone who they are. It was a central and important theme in several books

12 Likes