Transparent padlock and lockpicking tools

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/26/transparent-padlock-and-lockpi.html

2 Likes

So, I have one of these (you can get them even cheaper from wish.com if you’re willing to wait for china shipping), but I haven’t figured out how to transfer these skills onto real locks. I have a handful of locks from Master and other manufacturers, and while I am quite proficient at the transparent lock, there are some kind of countermeasures in commercial locks that I have yet to figure out. Any tips?

The lock picks with these sets are great but useless without a tension tool. You need to put tension on the barrel while pressing the tumblers into position. There are videos on youtube which show this process. I bought this set of tweezers and used the 45 degree angle tweezer as a tension tool.

Ah, reminds me of when I was a kid, and I mentioned to a relative, off-hand, that lockpicking would be an interesting skill to learn. He basically showed me the basics on the spot, gave me a cheap padlock and tension tool, and then on my next birthday, sent more padlocks. I have the best relatives.

1 Like

I would strongly recommend you start here:

Go to his playlists and find the one for beginners. You’ll be off in no time!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.