Treat your dog to some Waygu Kobe beef

I’ve tried to put my hands on some wild deer without shooting it myself (nearly impossible, but still working a loophole).

Hunters generally say it’s the diet. Makes sense. Corn-fed is not as tasty as more wild fare.

Not against shooting a deer, or even cleaning it myself. I just don’t have the time to learn how, or the house space to do it in.

ETA: The “suffering” actually makes it taste worse, according to reading. The best flavor is from a humane kill, where they die without much stress or suffering. Some other reading about the proper way to butcher carp (a not-very-edible animal at all) says the same thing, so there might be some truth to the whole notion.

2 Likes

But are they tastier?

2 Likes

Hmmmm??

I grew up " jackin’ my beef" . . . .

Should I eat Jack In my Beef???

1 Like

The local farmer’s market had whale when I lived in Oslo. We could never bring ourselves to try it for the obvious reasons (maybe not obvious to everyone on this thread, since the reasons are PC), plus it looked gross, mainly fat with a bit of meat mixed in. The caribou and moose though were delish.

3 Likes

Make the most of it:

1 Like

Those look good - I’ve been trying to think of what to do with all the fish sauce we still have in the fridge - but I don’t see how they can compete with good, fresh cat poop.

1 Like

Hey man, I’m against eating any creature with such high levels of sapience as dolphins, whales, elephants and primates. But I think I’d still try the whale blubber if I could handle the smell.

I’m weirdly sensitive to smell, even though I’m a smoker. I guess good genetics, plus I have a habit of never blowing smoke through my nose. I might do a French inhale once or twice a year with a clove cig.

I mean, if it’s already dead, and I’m not really adding to demand, what’s the harm?

I suppose there’s other causes I care a lot more about and faced with this situation, I’d completely boycott all consumption. But I guess I’m not quite as disturbed by whales as I am by the plight of Hobby Lobby employees… Make of that what you will.

Is that his real dog? It looks like an screen-trained dog… I mean, people sometimes do screen training for their dogs. I haven’t watched enough Alton Brown to know whether or not he’s ever mentioned having a dog before. But cat poop eating is pretty common in dogs. Cats have inefficient digestive systems for gathering nutrients like protein and fat, but are great at sucking up water. Because they’re desert-dwelling obligate carnivores built for success. Thanks evolution. Therefore their poops tend to have a lot of extremely concentrated protein and fat. And that smells better to fido than the shit smells bad. Also dogs, while very sensitive to smell, are great at focusing on one smell, and powering through.

[quote=“LDoBe, post:47, topic:93037”]
Hey man, I’m against eating any creature with such high levels of sapience as dolphins, whales, elephants and primates. But I think I’d still try the whale blubber if I could handle the smell.[/quote]
Well, Norway is fun to visit, provided you’re willing to suppress any rational sense of what stuff should cost. I never saw whale in a restaurant, but if you stay somewhere with a kitchen I expect it cooks much the same as really fatty pork.

2 Likes

I suspect the forces of http://theworstthingsforsale.com/ are at work again. I try not to look at that at work as it goes to very strange places with great frequency.

I’m going to have to come back to this thread later with the old pictures for sad children comic about the chickens.

…unless you happen to be the environment.

2 Likes

I’m no beef connoisseur, but the few times I’ve gotten to try Kobe or Wagyu (both in Japan and in the States), I’ve been unimpressed. It’s nicely fatty and rich, but wasn’t as flavorful or even as tender as well cooked steaks I’ve had that cost one tenth as much.

2 Likes

Region of origin matters a lot for the flavor of venison. Michigan deer eat a LOT of corn. Deer from the Mountain West eat a lot of scrub, and you can taste the difference.

2 Likes

Ahh, there we go.

9 Likes

I’ve had whale in Japan. It’s pretty fucking nasty. Chewy, fishy, and gamy all at the same time.

2 Likes

Dog food also lacks the appropriate amount of taurine for cats. Dogs can synthesize it but cats can’t. Too little taurine = blind kitty, among other problems.

2 Likes

Might have been because Blue Buffalo has extra taurine in the food? Taurine can apparently help control some kinds of seizures in dogs. So maybe she needed that extra bit of taurine.

Re: raw food. We tried to do raw with two of our cats. One has irritable bowel syndrome in the form of puking up food. Raw did not work for her and was extra gross to clean up. After much experimentation, Fromm’s Surf and Turf and Salmon Tunachovy make her puke the least, down to a few times a week. Grain is her Kryptonite. Wet food is also a no-go, though we can’t figure out why. I suspect this very expensive beef would end up on the floor, or possibly our bed.

The other… she tried to starve herself. We did the gradual transition thing and she just would not eat more than a bite or two or the raw. We tried offering just the raw for 24 hours straight, but she would not eat it. Making a cat go hungry for longer than that risks Hepatic lipidosis. In the end, we gave up. She out-stubborned us.

1 Like

Going blind, eh?

1 Like

#Moxie

2 Likes