Treatise on the ethics of the man-bun

Nice one.

Thanks for making me choke on my iced coffee…

7 Likes

The way people write: not your responsibility
The way the police police: is your responsibility

both relevant? sure. Equal? Nope.

Keep Punching Up!

3 Likes

Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.

5 Likes

*Yes i know it’s from Outsiders but this is the first thing that came to mind. That, then Step Brothers.

1 Like

I’m with ya.
If a woman has a buzz-cut it’s not called a ‘woman buzz-cut’ - If a man has a ponytail it’s not called a ‘man ponytail’ - Nobody calls Willie Nelson’s braids ‘man braids’.

Yet, for some reason, man bun.

I think the addition of ‘man’ in notiing a man with a hair-bun is merely a subtle disparage-ization - perhaps because people like to mock anything hipsters were noted for (I know maile hipsters were not the first men to don buns by far - but I think the most recent resurgence/prominence came from hipsters)

4 Likes

I think it’s mostly because it’s a terrible, ridiculous-looking hairstyle, and people mock it by calling it out as a “man-bun”. It isn’t simply a neat, tidy, stylish-looking bun that happens to be on a man’s head; a “man-bun” is typically a messy-looking clod of long, uncombed hair pulled into a wad and held there with rubber bands or hemp twine or something. Usually accompanied by an unkempt beard.

5 Likes

Well like most fads, not everyone can pull it off and look like they aren’t trying too hard. The majority of men i’ve seen with one looked like they were trying, but there have been a few rare exceptions.

Edit: I am a bit relieved i missed the “man bun” fad. I grew out my hair when i was in college down past my shoulders. I still would love to grow it out again, but i work at an office and i’m pretty sure my boss would not like it.

My take on the “man bun” thing was that it may have started as a way to make something innocuous more manly and/or sexy. But it ended up being mocked. It’s not too different from other attempts to make normal things “manly” that didn’t need to be. Stuff like guyliner comes to mind (eyeliner for men) and there’s also RompHim’s.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the murse.

2 Likes

Just upgrade and get a messenger bag or a classy leather case. I’ve been lusting over one of Saddleback’s leather bags for a long time though i can’t afford the expense. A former manager of mine has one and i got to see it up close and it’s awesome. Honestly wouldn’t care if someone called it a murse haha.

3 Likes

Nah.
Women do that exact same messy thing (except for the beard in most cases)… and it’s still just called a bun.

Plus, messy ponytails and wheaty braids on dudes are still just called ‘ponytails’ and ‘braids’ - even if their beard is also unkempt.

2 Likes

But it’s still a “man bun”, whether you like it or not.
And congratulations, thread successfully derailed.

2 Likes

… It’s not too different from other attempts to make normal things “manly” that didn’t need to be. Stuff like guyliner comes to mind…

Ahh. So, perhaps the people wearing or promoting the hair style added the ‘man’ to masculinize (aka de-feminize) it…?

Good point. A very solid possibility.
Fragile masculinity strikes again.

1 Like

And congratulations, thread successfully derailed.

I don’t think the thread was derailed.
You did see the title of the post, yes? The subject I replied to others about is part of the title of the article.

Besides, plenty of people conversed about the part you were probably focused on.

1 Like

Actually it’s short for mango, which is what the bun sort of looks like. Mango-bun. See?

3 Likes

He has a heroic man-bun because he is a street samurai, all up in the evil-doer’s junky trunk!

1 Like

Maybe he thought he was this guy:

3 Likes

Hang on. We’re talkin about David Beckham, Jared Leto, et al.

I’m more annoyed by the cultural misappropriation of the chonmage than I am the gendered term.

ETA: /s

Dude, c’mon; split the thread into a new topic if you have to, but don’t encourage them.

3 Likes