Tremor-correcting steadicam cutlery

That's wonderful! The smiles on the faces of the people using the spoons show just how much this is going to change their lives.

Can they adapt this into a highball glass for serious alcoholics?

...and in ten or twenty years or so, it might get FDA approval as a medical device. stuck_out_tongue

I really like this. A few of my patients are embarrassed by their Parkinson's tremors to the point where they avoid eating out. I pass this link on to the occupational therapist I work with.

What could possibly go wrong?

I saw a GIF of someone using this last week and loved it. Having watched my grandfather struggle with Parkinson's when I was a kid I can really appreciate how significant something like this could be for so many people.

What I really love is that it lets the person relax. They are no longer fighting their tremors so don't get into that vicious feedback loop where they over-correct and it just gets worse and worse.

It nice to see an article about a product that solves a real problem for the handicapped or elderly. Using technology to fix a problem brought on by disease and old age isn't sexy but it comes across as being responsible and altruistic. We have enough first world gadgets, this actually could have a positive impact across all world levels.

When I first saw article headline I was imagining a ripley-vs-alien-queen contraption that would allow a chef to prep food during a 6.0 richter earthquake. "Watch as Tremor-correcting Ginsu cuts paper thin onion slices during a massive earthquake!"

I think Cory meant it is based on technology used for optical image stabilization, not steadicam technology.

I think he got it right the first time. The guy on the unicycle is your hand, and the camera is the end of the spoon:

My father in law does a lot of photography; I wonder if this could be adapted to a camera mount.

As for teaching children basic coordination, this seems to be exactly the opposite of helpful; the kid would never have any reason to learn to control their motions, because the utensil would do it for them.

I have a mild tremor and do a fair bit of photography. There are stabilized lenses, which are useful. These lenses are also all full-sized heavy lenses, which is annoying for transport, but a inherently an advantage for dealing with a tremor. With a full-size SLR, I can often get take a decent photograph with a one-eighth second exposure (sometimes) even without a stabilized lens. With a lighter camera, that doesn't go so well.

Came here to question that. I thought "steadicam technology" meant attaching your camera to a big damn weight?

I wonder if this technology might be adapted to help surgeons perform extremely delicate incisions.

It's so awesome that instead of a link to the actual producer of the product, you've linked to a blurry small screen shot from the youtube video. Thanks!

Notice how the screenshot has a play button in the middle of it? Click on it and the YouTube video will start playing.

I'm not talking about that. Notice how there's a link in the text below the video. A link in a context which we have become accustomed to believing will take us to the actual product or website. Note how if you click it you get a .jpg from the youtube site. But thank you for your valuable input!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.