Troop of monkeys think an animatronic spy monkey is a dead baby and become sad

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/28/troop-of-monkeys-think-an-anim.html

4 Likes

Let me guess, the spy monkey’s name was Rigor Morty.

19 Likes

The monkeys definitely chose appropriately sad music to express their emotional state.

32 Likes

Technology: Making animals sad since…always.

18 Likes

I was going to say, the music was a bit much. The event was interesting enough without attempts to tug additionally on heart strings through orchestral cues.

8 Likes

I’m . a . sad . monkey.

4 Likes

I would really loved to have seen the faces of the film crew. Watching as they freak out about their spy monkey being discovered, manhandled and rendered useless.

2 Likes

To suceed in the marketplace, nature documentaries need narrative and emotional engagement.

(in my opinion, the musical track detracts from his point)

9 Likes

Troop of humans think corporate surveillance state is a manifestation of a dead society and gather around BB to mourn it.

12 Likes

Agreed, except for the word “think” could be replaced with “know”.

4 Likes

But then they’re told that it’s a “foreign” monkey from another troop, and they celebrate and bow down before their orange-furred alpha male.

3 Likes

Just imagine how sad they’re about to be, when their entire habitat is burned to the ground and destroyed. They’ll forget all about that robot baby.

3 Likes

“In this BBC video, a troop of Langur monkeys come across an animatronic spy monkey with a camera in its eye, and assume it’s a dead baby. They gather around it and appear to mourn it.”

At which time the robot turned its head to get a better camera angle. The monkeys now assumed it was a zombie monkey and stabbed it in the head with a pointed stick.

14 Likes

They are more like use than we care to admit. We should admit this and change our behavior towards these fellow primates.

6 Likes

Good monkeys!
Way to stave off the apocalypse

2 Likes

Terminator, the early years.

4 Likes

From one monkey to another, welcome to the Boingz.

3 Likes

They gather around it and appear to mourn it.

They’re mourning the fact that privacy invading tech has entered their lives.

7 Likes

I mean, haven’t we all sniffed the micro-USB port of our Amazon Echo/Google Home?

(Just kidding - Happy Mutants are too smart to invite spy hardware into our homes. Right?)

2 Likes

Proudly – I’ve managed to avoid all sites/devices/IOS stuff.

IOW: If I ditched my laptop, cell, and TV, I’d be a Luddite with a capital, in bold, L (as you can see). :slight_smile:

2 Likes