Truck driver plows into people in New York bike lane, multiple deaths reported

If only he’d shouted “I oppose the removal of Confederate statues” or “No to #NoDAPL” instead of “Allahu akbar”.

15 Likes

Another dickhead religious fundie loser who couldn’t stand to see others enjoying their lives. And another attack on what I still consider my city.

Hoping the friends and families of the BBS community in NYC are safe.

10 Likes

I was on the Hudson River bike path today (as I often am). Luckily, an hour before the incident. I expect I’ll be on it tomorrow as well.

Shit happens. Bike on.

But the DOT might consider adding bollards at the few places where people in ecologically catastrophic death machines can turn onto the path. A few months ago I saw some oblivious suburbanite in an SUV gaily driving down the bike path, apparently thinking it was some kind of access road to the West Side Highway instead of, you know, a bike path; and cyclists (e.g., Eric Ng) have been killed by equally oblivious morons. Still and all, it has few points of conflict with motor vehicles, and is one of the safest bike routes in NYC.

11 Likes

Tell that to Team Trump. Russians hate democracy. Yet Trump and team welcomed them with open arms.

4 Likes

If we can’t even get close to understanding why people do this horrific crap, we’ll never stop it. Calling them cowards only serves to obscure. Are soldiers who drive a tank cowards for not going out there with a rifle? What about a drone pilot? This guy’s endgame with the toy guns was obviously suicide by cop, he did not intend to survive.

I’m not trying to be provocative, my heart breaks for the dead, wounded and their families, but our narrative is fucked up and not helping us solve the problem. The new series Mindhunter is about just this, the birth of serial killer profiling in the late 70’s. With both, if you just simplistically call them evil and cowards you’ll never stop them. I wish all we had to do was to pull out of all our interventions in the Muslim world, but some of the attacks on European nations who have not had an aggressive middle east policy signal it might not work.

9 Likes

“We’re not going to let them win. If we change our lives, and we contort to them, they win and we lose.”

Yep… Until it comes time beg and use federal homeland security monies. Then the NYPD will get to play dress-up again while collecting overtime posing with automatic weapons at transportation hubs.

4 Likes

Nah, those are only for high value targets, not puclic safety!! /s

(you’re entirely correct)

3 Likes

Unfortunately packed sidewalks are pretty normal for much of Manhattan, you’re never going to prevent this with infrastructure.

1 Like

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that a certain number of these “Islamic terrorism” attacks are no more ideologically motivated than the Vegas shooting. But making an Islam/ISIS reference gets tons of attention. The media has already moved on from the Vegas shooting, but they’ll be sure to give this one tons of attention.

It sounds like he jumped out of his truck with some (fake) guns, just so he could get shot by the cops, though. This is a classic mass killing followed by “death by cop.”

6 Likes

That’s a slightly different subject, and they’re not as easy to drive down.

The suggestion under discussion in MY post was bike paths and not sidewalks.

Different beasts. So, aside from sidewalks, how about the bike paths? The ones people often accidentally get on? Because they look like roads?

1 Like

My point is the wack a mole nature of this. If someone is looking for people to mow down, there’s a lot more sidewalks even if you secure bike paths. In my experience a lot of places that you should not be able to even get a car in are open because God forbid cops should have to get out of their cars, ever. I’ve seen them cruise the walking paths through our little 4 acre victorian park.

3 Likes

We’re living in a world where by all accounts, there has ALWAYS BEEN TERRORISM, and in fact, things are much better now for a higher percentage of people than probably any other period of documented history. I mean it’s not like every fucking black person is a slave, it’s not like whole conquering armies are just running around the bulk of the planet, raping and pillaging. In much of the world, the average lifespan is the longest its been, other than in Biblical Times, har (which some part of me thinks may be literal, that people may have once lived a few hundred years, but whatever).

Lots of people were raped today, murdered today, committed suicide today, starved today. And none of this is good, it’s all stuff we should work to lessen. But we have totally lost our minds to media brainwashing every time we take an extremely outlier event, and just TOTALLY LOSE OUR SHIT.

Yeah yeah be aghast, whatever, but you know what? Almost everyone out there DIDN’T commit an act of terroristic suicide today (and we really do need to look more at the suicide aspect of these crimes).

Who ever promised that life on Earth was going to be 100% peachy 100% of the time? This is not an excuse for this behavior, but it’s like… Holy shit, the number of horrible things like The Patriot Act done in the name of fighting terrorism.

More people have died in Baltimore in the past few weeks than this event, and that’s just because people get shot in Baltimore all the time. Sometimes a few blocks from my joint. /streetcred

11 Likes

In war you expect to be assaulted by an enemy, on a bike path you are not expecting a fucking coward to sneak up on you in a truck. Among the various other things he might be he’s also a chicken shit coward for his attack on the unsuspecting. Perhaps part of the understanding of some of these people is to realize they are cowards. To me that’s not simplistic, it defines his method of attack…kind of the difference between a sucker punch and a heads up fight.

edit sp.

3 Likes

Freedom Fries For Everyone!

5 Likes

Sure friend, but like, for the last 70 years… we’re the dickweeds.

You know it. I know it. The muslim world sure as HELL knows it.

6 Likes

I noticed that the first time you said. You are repeating yourself, and also not answering a clarifying question asked in good faith - so - pretty much not curious anymore. Have a good evening.

Tell the special forces snipers whose targets never see them coming that they’re cowards. Yes, it’s a simplistic argument.

1 Like

Question: If you’re of the “If we change our lives, and we contort to them, they win and we lose” mindset, don’t bollards count as contorting change?

Bollards blocking vehicular access to pedestrian and bike paths also impede EMS, etc…

1 Like

I have to agree that they are not cowards. The have a world view which lets them believe that they are holy instruments of God, who wants them to purify the earth.
They publish at least one online magazine in English that pretty clearly states their motivations. The latest iteration is called “Rumiyah”. I have read some of the issues. The basic goal seems to be that unbelievers, wherever they may be, should be killed or enslaved. They keep repeating their goals pretty clearly, so it might be a good idea to at least explore the possibility that their stated goals accurately reflect their philosophy.
“the blood of the disbelievers is halal, and killing
them is a form of worship to Allah, the Lord, King, and
God of mankind. This includes the businessman riding to
work in a taxicab, the young adults (post-pubescent “children”)
engaged in sports activities in the park, and the old
man waiting in line to buy a sandwich. Indeed, even the
blood of the kafir street vendor selling flowers to those passing
by is halal to shed – and striking terror into the hearts
of all disbelievers is a Muslim’s duty.”

They mentioned that killing children who have not reached puberty is not desired, however they have a different fate-
"the restriction exists so that they can become slaves, which
is more beneficial than killing them, and killing them does
not harm the enemy; so making them slaves is more optimal
than killing them”

Those quotes are from Rumiyah issue 1. Those rules are not just for people living in the Middle East. They specifically mention that “the Kuffar should have no protection in their own lands”.
In short, it looks like they want all of us to submit to “subjugation and humiliation”, or die. I am not sure we can negotiate with such people.

3 Likes

That is very far from where I am. Is that where you are?

no, the bollards would be there to stop normal idiots mostly. They’re standard around where I live. This violence surprised me because bollards are a common and inexpensive public safety feature on BIKE PATHS, where they cross roads.

1. not the way we do em here. You might educate yourself on this some. there are whole books about how to design roads and bike paths for safety that never once mention terrorists.
  2. I am, and the post is also, not talking about pedestrian sidewalks and you know that.
  3. Not all of us have given up on reasonable responses.
  4. if you want to ‘win’ a discussion ur doin it rong. Thanks.
1 Like