Truckload of gas cylinders explodes 39 times

I wonder if they don’t use a safety valve setup like in American consumer level tanks? I always thought that was suppose to release excess pressure as it got hotter to keep the tank from exploding…it’d just fuel the fire more, but at least not go boom. Of course these may have been stationary or industrial cylinders which don’t have such requirements.

Sweeeeet!

While it’s pretty spectacular, I suspect that the advice about where to be when there’s a shooting, also applies to burning piles of compressed flammables… Just get away! Far away.

1 Like

This is how Michael Bay gets to sleep, counting exploding gas cannisters.

4 Likes

In Soviet Russia, the propane… ahhhh screw it.

2 Likes

If there’s a blowout plug, it’s probably set to a really high pressure. It also assumes the cylinder itself is still within specs and not full of corrosion on the inside, which has a lot to do with quality of the fill process and how the cylinder was used. The fill/emptying cycle is going to lead to condensation, the shape of cylinder concentrates the water, it lays there for months with a few drops of water always in the same spot and now there’s a fatal rust pit, like sticking a needle into a balloon. Also, these cylinders are red hot, so the temper of the metal is gone. The tanks that are cartwheeling around may have popped the overpressure plug.

Wasn’t that the one that melted the highway overpass to the right?

Imagine the weather forecast: “Drivers are warned that there are record low levels of oxygen near the gas plant.”

I’m waiting to hear Hank Hill’s positive spin on this.

Somewhere, someone is masturbating to this.

1 Like

Yeah, they (sometimes) jet around like that when you shoot them but they don’t full-on explode like in movies & video games or this video.

As much as that statement is likely true, I am not going to like it. At all.

Certainly not with a 9 mm or 45 handgun. A full metal jacketed rifle round as small as 223 might do the trick, but you still need a source of ignition.

That’s why 50 caliber machine guns include incendiaries (not tracers) that explode on impact. If you see flashbulb like flashes on impact, that’s them.

As directed by Michael Bay…

“If they’d gotten their propane from Strickland instead of Mega-Lo Mart, this never would have happened.”

1 Like

A .45 certainly pierces a 20 lb. propane bottle. I know bullets aren’t supposed to spark on contact with steel but I have seen propane ignite from a gunshot, for whatever reason. Like I said, it doesn’t explode, it’s just a kind of little flamethrower effect.

You say this as if it was unusual, or wrong in some way.

Kudos to the Fire Department for getting there so quickly!
. . . Oh, not yet?
. . . well, whenever they get there, good job, guys!

I have this irrational fear of being near something on the highway when it explodes. Too many movies, I guess? Whenever I see one of those trucks loaded up with propane or cans of some pressurized substance I do everything I can to avoid them. Because I so do not want to be the guy behind this! Ack! Run away, far, far, away.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.