TRUE FACTS about Richard Dawkins

“Deliberately accidentally” or “accidentally on purpose” are gems in terms of language.

2 Likes

I hate arguing with you. You’re always right. It pisses me off. I get everything all buttoned up and you come along with two words and shred my argument to nothing. It sucks.

6 Likes

Not my field, but that sounds correct. Witchhunts were often used to punish neighbors in feuds, get rid of people considered undesirable, etc. So, yeah, it was often bottom-up, but it could be used a means of social control, too. Violence against outsider groups were often used as means of shoring up local identities and communal ties, which helps explain violence against Jews and Muslims in Europe in the middle ages, as well as violence against non-conforming women.

Wait… you need a historian and you didn’t use the mindysan33 button?

10 Likes

3 Likes

I couldn’t FIND the damn button I created!!! I need more than an historian. I need a personal organizer and maybe a psychologist.

4 Likes

Back on track…

In my case, Dawkins ruined my teacher’s childhood dreams. What he did to my childhood, thus, was derivative.

She never told us what it was, but she was on track toward Nobel prize winning work when he dashed her dreams after a short encounter late at night in a bar, when she was only trying to relax after a day of presenting her work. Ten years later, she’s working as a first grade teacher in an inner-city school, and whenever I would outshine my male classmates, she’d pull me aside and say, “you know you’re smarter than the boys, and I know you’re smarter than the boys, but according to Dawkins that’s not scientifically possible so you must stop proving him wrong.” And so I complied, because Dawkins is God to smart people, which I was once.

14 Likes

Shit that’s wonderful and horrid all at the same time. /#JustLikeDawkins

5 Likes

You are aware this is a Games thread, right? :grinning: Although, the being taken aside by my (female) 1st grade teacher and being told to hide my knowledge in the classroom so that the boys didn’t cry is real. Yes, that’s right, a couple of them would actually CRY…this was the mid-60s when everyone knew that boys were smarter than girls, especially in math, and it really messed with the boys’ minds that in reality it wasn’t true.

14 Likes

I know of at least three other women who have the exact same awful story; one is my wife, but she wouldn’t be dominated. She just kept hammering and eventually got through it and got her degrees. But it sucks. Just horrible stupid male behavior that needs to be eradicated.

6 Likes

Have you ever made Richard Dawkins cry?

He came into my room late at night when I was a little kid – and this was in rural South Dakota, so that was particularly strange, and I don’t think he had a teaching fellowship nearby or anything. Anyway. He’d whisper in my ear that G-d was a delusion and that all we had was the glorious world of the mind. I smashed a piece of rose-quartz (the South Dakota state mineral) onto his slipper-shod foot and screamed “I REFUTE IT THUS!”

Dawkins’ eyes welled up, and I swear I heard a stifled sob as he limped out of the room, never to haunt me again.

The next morning I got blamed for the bloody track in the hall, of course.

7 Likes

Truth - what is that?

1 Like

Are you sure that was Dawkins, and not Donald Knuth?

8 Likes

Have you ever seen @jerwin and @RealRichardDawkins in the same room at the same time?

4 Likes

How about a bookmark this page button in your browser?

• Have you tried hitting Ctrl-D?
0 voters

Wait. Are you organizing or psychologizing? I need to know, in order to proceed.

That honestly made me laugh. In that, “oh shit oh shit that’s actually true goddamnit” sort of way.

6 Likes

Wait… that was your summary? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don’t agree with attacking Tim Hunt for a sexist comment that he apologised profusely for, and which nobody is defending. I don’t agree with attacking Connie St. Louis for criticising him, although she clearly is not willing to change her view of him despite the evidence. It doesn’t matter whether Tim Hunt is sexist or not, it doesn’t matter that he actively supports women, it doesn’t matter that he apologised profusely, renounced his statements and stepped down from a number of positions, it doesn’t matter that the accusations of sexism and crowd reaction were not true or edited to say the opposite of what he was trying to say. None of this matters, because sexism exists and Tim Hunt is a sexist.

Have to say it: Richard Dawkins had sex with a pig’s head at Oxford.

14 Likes

Funny thing is, that one’s probably the most true of any post in this thread!

2 Likes

I know, it’s like 50/50. If I’m generous, 10/90.

2 Likes