Trump acquitted again

F@ck unity. Disgusted but not surprised.

51 Likes

It was Schumer who praised them.

7 Likes

Oh, duh. Angry reading I guess.

5 Likes

Local elections matter too.

5 Likes

Eliminate the Filibuster

Hell yeah. And if what Repugs did today doesn’t light a fire under Dems’ butts to do it, I dont know what else could.

12 Likes

I can’t decide what would be worse, the inevitable Tucker Carlson/Marjorie Taylor Greene ticket or a run from Ivanka.

5 Likes

We will remember.

We must remember.

14 Likes

That needs to be permanently fixed with Federal legislation. It needs to have the force of immediate removal behind it for governors and legislators to be found denying even one person their legitimate right to vote. Attempts to do so should be punished by serious time in federal prison. And Feds need to have the power to bust in and shut down all attempts to side-step the law.

13 Likes

Make that the next two years.

8 Likes

Part of me is glad we were 6 republican votes more than last time, but the other part of me knows fully that those 7 voted with permission of the party, knowing full well that the acquittal was guranteed. Had that not been that way, had Demcrats had 60 votes in the senate, those 7 would absolutely have voted to acquit.

3 Likes

Right?

Even some Republican voters might get behind it. I mean, you’d think there’s nothing more American, in the Greatest Democracy on Earth, than guaranteeing the right to vote.

7 Likes

Absofuckinglutely

7 Likes

The cracks in the U.S. (one of the world’s oldest democracies) are showing.
Today, I saw cracks as many and vast as the Grand Canyon’s.

Maybe, just maybe that is what Leonard Cohen is telling us to pay attention to.

Here’s hoping that state prosecutors et al (as others have mentioned upthread) are still working on justice with better outcomes and less deal-cutting that what I saw today.

:musical_note: there is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in :musical_note:

8 Likes

the john lewis voting rights at is written and ready for delivery, unfortunately we can’t use reconciliation to pass that and despite the fact that

too many republicans would consider a bill like that to be an existential threat to the party so it will be a nonstarter so long as the filibuster remains in place.

10 Likes

40 Likes

Heehawly and Ted the Mullet need to pay dearly.

6 Likes

Except the Q side of the split just got validated, and will now be even more emboldened.

5 Likes

Agree. But what drives their base? Disinformation (Fox news, OANN, NewsMax). Biden needs to bring back FCC requirements to have Equal Time as well as adding ‘black box’-like warnings when opinion is being promoted as news. There also needs to be a required fact check section for any opinion peace. Once constituents are better information and not brainwashed, most the the current brand of GOP power will slip away. It’s based on lies and winsome anchors like Hannity, Ingraham and Tucker smiling and lying to Americans while whistling all the way to the bank.

5 Likes

Take a wild guess at which senator is who is now going to be facing a really intense primary challenge

7 Likes

Yes yes Republicans are filth. You know, I’m starting to think that public rage doesn’t really influence them. But consider this:

There was never any chance of Republicans convicting Turmp – like, less than none – and everyone knew that for a fact – so why did McConnell make a show of entertaining the possibility? That wasn’t to win over new voters, and it certainly wasn’t to Republican voters.

The one political factor that’s different this time is that after the January 6th terror attacks, corporate donors made their displeasure known. We’ve seen that Yertle the Sack of Shit is unmoved by treason, rape, corruption, nazism etc., but as it turns out, this gets his attention, to the point of firing a handful of actual conviction votes at Turmp.

So maybe the place to put pressure is not on Republican politicians (lol), but on every business in America and around the world. Maybe a permanent super-BDS movement directed against the GOP could actually make them back away from Turmpism. Demand that your pension fund dump terror-supporting shares; picket the headquarters of the 10 biggest Republican donors on a permanent basis; don’t buy so much as a roll of toilet paper without checking that the manufacturer is clean; that sort of thing. This could be one of the rare cases where boycotts could actually accomplish something.

16 Likes