Trump ad says "support our troops" but uses stock photo of Russian fighter jets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/15/trump-ad-says-support-our-tr.html

4 Likes

Maybe “Support Their Troops” might have been a better catchphrase.

25 Likes

( NATALIA KOLESNIKOVA/AFP/Getty Images)

26 Likes

Well, technically it isn’t an error…

34 Likes

They’re really not very good at this, are they?

16 Likes

In future Trump ads:

• Trump ad says “LIBERATE COLORADO!” but uses still from Red Dawn, where Soviet soldiers take over Calumnet, CO.
13 Likes

As noted elsewhere, at least one of those rifles is an AK-47, not often part of a US kit.

13 Likes

These are indeed strange times!

9 Likes

With all the GOP “errors” IE wrong addresses on ballot request forms, wrong voting days, etc this is just par for the course.

5 Likes

And yet, to his supporters, it doesn’t matter.

13 Likes

Putin is, he’s the one that told Trump’s people to use that pic.

3 Likes

It’s obvious to me that a Russian ad agency made this ad, sent it to the RNC and they ran with it without checking very closely.

When you search for images of fighter planes, it’s not common to have Russian planes prominently returned in the results - unless you’re Russian.

What appears to be incompetence on the part of the campaign is really just masking the clear evidence that Russia is a lot more involved in this year’s election than anyone cares to admit.

20 Likes

Reminds me of that army congressman who tweeted a picture of a Russian battlecruiser for “US Navy Happy Birthday”…

Clearly to a bunch of civvies, all military look alike.

I can tell that’s a MiG-29, and the guns being held are AK-variants due to the unique front-sight. But maybe I’m just weird. :smiley:

13 Likes

Not really. He’s just finally being honest about who he’s working for.

7 Likes

I LOVE the MiG-29 Fulcrum. Beautiful plane. But yeah, that and the AK barrel profile on the right jumps out like a sore thumb.

5 Likes

Expect Trump to take complete credit for the Israel, UAE, Bahrain peace accord and inform us how it never would have taken place under Hillary.

4 Likes

Honest for once

No, Trump would say “our” troops and mean it. After all, he considers himself Putin’s bitch and he’s running this country (into the ground) as Putin’s agent.

3 Likes

Already did. There was a signing this morning at the WH and Trump added his signature.

5 Likes

Actually, he’s just being transparent.

3 Likes