Trump administration walks back Obama wiretapping claim

9 Likes

This is how weaponised false news works. He made an outrageous claim which cost him nothing. Few weeks later everyone is happy cos he was “forced” to walk back on it. Walked back on what exactly? Actual ground lost by him, NONE. Attention was successfully diverted to the non-topic.

9 Likes

Are all tweets still due to get all library-of-congressed up?

2 Likes

“Gentlemen! This is the press briefing! You can’t ask questions in here.”

10 Likes

When he said “pussy” he meant “attention”

4 Likes

His words are variables not constants.

6 Likes

Well, if nothing else, people are talking a lot less about Russia and Putin’s Puppets than they were 10 days ago, so Trump’s distraction worked.

7 Likes

No! No! I always call a gang “she”. It’s like when you call a boat “she”, or a hurricane “she”.

He didn’t mean tapping phones when he specifically said “tapp my phones”… nope. not at all.

5 Likes

If there is one thing we have learned about this numpty, it’s that he refuses to apologise or admit error. Even if it would save his chickenshit neck. And even then, he would deny it once his neck is out of the sling.

1 Like

That is one of the best things I have ever read. THANK YOU!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Sadly my workplace conversation yesterday went as follows (while commenting on new story about the tapp tweets’.

Rocketpj: I guess when you lie constantly then nobody will believe you.

Coworker (angrily): THEY ALL LIE, ALL THE TIME! so Trump is no different.

Rocketpj: Sigh.

9 Likes

Which, of course, was Trump’s appeal: that he’s just like traditional politicians.

6 Likes

How can so much of America just swallow everything this hideous man-baby spits up?

6 Likes

That whole idea, that politicians “always lie”, is turning out to be a lot more pernicious than I would have ever thought.

Much like the “they’re all just as bad” and “both sides!”, it achieves nothing but increases cynicism, engenders apathy, and provides cover for the liars, the crooks, and the bad-faith actors.

9 Likes

And Trump probably said that not because he believed it, but because it was a politically expedient attack that sounded good in the moment. Except it has real consequences, as I’ve read about multiple politicians in the Middle East who now believe the US created ISIS, pointing to Trump’s comments as proof. That’s going to have a long-term impact in diplomatic relations with those countries - and in fighting ISIS (though Trump will probably find further ways to screw both of those things up).

@Czanne That really is Trump in a nutshell, isn’t it?

The difference is not that Trump “lies all the time” (because, let’s face it, politicians do routinely inject questionable statements of various degrees into their speech) but that he never tells the truth.

7 Likes

I feel that it’s more that most politicians generally don’t lie outright. They’re usually saying something that can, in some ways (and to varying degrees), be considered true. That might involve ignoring inconvenient topics, or cherry-picking data, but it’s usually a lie by omission, and you just need to find out what wasn’t said in order to get a fuller picture.

Mr. “I had the biggest electoral college win since Roosevelt, my inauguration crowd was the biggest in history, and the rain clouds parted when I started to speak”, on the other hand…

8 Likes

These gentlemen would like a word with you.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s the hazard of a quote from 1979. Even a timeless classic starts to seem dated after almost 40(!) years.

1 Like