Trump aides were in constant contact with top Russian officials during campaign

what were they talking about?

Apparently, not much. So we should not get too excited about this yet.

From the NYT article:

The intelligence agencies then sought to learn whether the Trump campaign was colluding with the Russians on the hacking or other efforts to influence the election.

The officials interviewed in recent weeks said that, so far, they had seen no evidence of such cooperation.

3 Likes

Israel =/= the Jews

I agree. But you have to admit that the Israeli government has tried their damndest over the years to convince everyone that they are the jews. They kind of want to have their lekach and eat it too.

6 Likes

You are correct, I did mean to say “Jews” and not “the Jews” and stand corrected. I have not put any Palestinians into ghettos for instance!

2 Likes

It doesn’t jive because your thinking to much. Seriously.

At the end of the day it’s about their attraction to jingoistic authoritarianism. The rhetoric doesn’t have to be consistent. It’s about the rejection of the complexity in our world for something feel good, simple and digestible. They are a part of the good ol’ USA, so whoever is waving that flag in one hand with a gun in the other is top dog in their books.

I know the type.

13 Likes

Oh I’m sure by now Trump and his team know what Russia wants. No words need to be spoken.

And he knows what Russia has…

16 Likes

To influence the election, but there are many other corrupt activities besides that. And again, wait a few days, the story is developing quite rapidly, obviously.

5 Likes

Moby’s last album.

25 Likes

Yeah, well, if you’re going to leak it, leak it. We have enough problems with imaginations running wild we don’t need more.

If it’s something illegal or a threat to national security, or whatever, let us know.

A bunch of unsecured emails from the Secretary of State with possible discussions about Top Secret shit sounded really damning and important too, and it turned out to be not so much.

5 Likes

You’re still at “let’s give the Trump administration the benefit of the doubt” eh? Yeah, me, not so much. The fact that he selected a literal Nazi as his chief strategist kind of put me off that, among 500 other things.

12 Likes

It’s less “benefit of doubt” and more “I am fucking tired of playing games.”

16 Likes

It’s not much (yet), but from TFA: “intercepted communications between Russian officials before and after the election discussing their belief that they had special access to Trump

5 Likes

My grandmother is a WWII Navy Nurse. She’s appalled on behalf of all the solders she cared for stateside.

8 Likes

[quote=“geoduck, post:17, topic:95107, full:true”]
With the GOP Congress we have, I’ll believe in impeachment when I see it. Even though I imagine a lot of them would greatly prefer Pence as President, they’ll sit on their hands as long as they possibly can.
[/quote]Actually, I’d bet that they’ve only sat on their hands this long because they need enough ammo that not only will the impeachment stick, but there’s no way the Republican voting public can come down against the decision to remove him.

Simply put, these career politicians couldn’t give two fucks about the country - they just care that they get reelected. They need Trump to become so toxic that it’s “safe” to remove him without pissing off their own core voter base (the vast majority of who actually still approve of Trump at this point). They need to give Trump enough time that even the voting Republican base turns on him - that’s the point at which they’ll move. Their only question is how long they wait - too soon and they’ll be labeled traitors to the party; too late and they risk being seen as collaborators when he finally goes down.

As for Trump himself, they don’t care - all they care is that they have a Republican in the White House so they can push their agendas through. Trump, Pence, whoever - doesn’t matter.

32 Likes

What - like a webcam show?

OH so that’s how he got all his campaign money.

5 Likes

So how does brainwashing work in the absolute absence of a fucking brain to wash. That festering hemorrhoid is impervious to brainwashing.

14 Likes

5 Likes

The important thing to remember is that the Deep State is not to be trusted and is simply using their illegal authority to trample a political opponent. Leaks are only for the good of the nation if the whistleblower is arrested or forced to flee the country, and when sent to alternative distribution methods than the media. /s

I’m sick of how comfortable the authoritarian right and the unrepresented left are together in US politics. This isn’t actually about the election anymore.

6 Likes

I’m super excited for when the GOP base turns on Trump and still elects Ryan, Cruz, et al.

10 Likes

It will come out that Trump knew/coordinated/obeyed the Russians during the campaign. We’ve all known it, intelligence may finally pull his pants down. I think we may be past Trump being able to sleaze his way out.

The next compelling question is What did Mitch McConnel know? What did Paul Ryan know? Both these jokers have been Enablers in the normalizing of Trump’s bullshit, and if intelligence shows that they knew about Trumps culpability in the manipulation of the election, then they should be joining Trump in jail.

In fact I doubt McConnel and Ryan would be alone. Nothing but a wholesale Be-Heading of the GOP is in order.

The sooner the better.

This is not a question of impeachment folks. This is CLEANING HOUSE. This is the biggest scandal in the history of our Nation, makes Watergate look like a hiccup.

A lifelong serial cheater and conman who cheated and conned his way into the White House with the aid of a hostile foreign power, and with the full support and cover of the Republican Party.

27 Likes

The transcripts aren’t released (yet). Immediately after Obama’s exec. order of sanctions over electoral interference, Flynn called Russia to discuss the sanctions, though what he said hasn’t been released. All we know is that he lied and tried to hide those discussions (which suggests something sensitive in the discussion). The big deal part of it that nailed him was the attempted coverup, since he was claiming he didn’t discuss sanctions with Russia, but the IC and Sally Yates, then acting AG had the transcripts of the calls to the Russian embassy, knew Flynn had lied to cover up a discussion with Russia, and believed that the lie was serious enough that it could be used as leverage by Russia. Sally Yates informed Trump about all this in Jan. and he sat on it (then fired Yates) which is also a big deal.

28 Likes