Trump announced a new executive order to protect people with pre-existing conditions in exactly the same way that Obamacare already does

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/08/trump-announced-a-new-executiv.html

8 Likes

I am instructing the sun to rise in the east and… why not, set in the west. This is bigly important.

51 Likes

I wonder if “cover” means allowing huge increases in premiums for those with pre-existing conditions. If we already have it, Trump’s candy apple is bound to have a razor blade in it.

40 Likes

If you handle that, I will handle the part where daylight occurs at sunrise and stops temporarily at sunset. Maybe we can get someone else to handle the motions of planets, so that we have all the main bases covered. We might need someone for stellar fusion.

9 Likes

I find this youthful optimism charming. Every policy will get a premium increase.

18 Likes

Can you imagine the screaming about impending despotism that would have erupted if this particular provision of the ACA had been implemented by executive order?

28 Likes

Jared should be as qualified for stellar fusion as he is for most of the rest of the stuff he’s been handed; we’ll call that one sorted.

10 Likes

“Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated.” -POTUS, 2017

20 Likes

If you’re going to pull a stunt like this, go big.

I mean, Trump could have issued an Executive Order to end chattel slavery or give women the right to vote.

33 Likes

His name would also be stamped into the sticky coating. That’s his reason for this, and for the current stimulus mess. He just wants to take credit for things and put his name on them - whether justified or not.

22 Likes

I’m not sure how this squares with the Trump administration’s legal efforts to specifically get rid of the pre-existing conditions protections in the ACA. A distraction? They eventually get rid of protections and Trump can point to his executive order, which does nothing, as “proof” that he was doing the opposite of what he was actually doing? Or is he just hoping (correctly) that his supporters are dumb enough to think he did the parts of the ACA they like?

18 Likes

You can bet, though, there’s a lot more carrot than stick for the insurance companies. I doubt seriously they’ll be carrying pre-existing conditions without some sort of perk.

5 Likes

29 Likes

Isn’t that what it has really all been about? Trump this, Trump that, Trump tower, Trump resort, Trump golf, etc., ad infinitum.

17 Likes

Yeah, that perk is probably higher premiums. I was considering relocating to another state, and was stunned to learn my insurance is very state-specific. The national plan (in case of emergency or injury while away from home, but still in the US) was almost three times the cost of what I had.

Before that, I only thought about travel health insurance when planning to leave the country. Now, I think back on all those years when I commuted from state to state and am very grateful nothing requiring medical treatment ever happened. It would’ve busted my budget.

14 Likes

Does this cancel out the Trump Administration’s exemptions to the ACA pre-existing condition requirement, or do those with exemptions continue to have permission to deny PEC coverage?

5 Likes

In other words, he’s marking territory. I would advise you to wash thoroughly after contact and never, ever, eat the orange snow.

10 Likes

Just like a dog, he’s only concerned about where the others went before him. When the public points to the overturned garbage can, everything he’s trashed, and the germs spread everywhere, he takes no responsibility. In November, here’s what he’s gonna get from me. :newspaper_roll:

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

10 Likes

Arguably, at least theoretically, this executive order would preserve protection for pre-existing conditions (one of the most popular features of the ACA) in case the dog catches the car and their attempts to get the ACA thrown out by the courts succeed.

The devil is in the details, and while Trump has no patience for them, you can be sure that SOMEBODY has crafted this Executive Order with big enough loopholes for the insurers to sail through.

10 Likes

Trump has run out of Obama policies to destroy, so now he’s taking the next logical step and simply co-opting Obama’s remaining policies as his own.

20 Likes