Trump announced a new executive order to protect people with pre-existing conditions in exactly the same way that Obamacare already does

“Stella Fusson? Beautiful, really wonderful lady, the best. Worked with her for years.”

several crimes later…

“Stella Fusson? Never heard of her…”

9 Likes

So Cheetos only takeaway from the Obamacare clusterfuck is that Obama got his name on it. Sigh.

I also can’t wait for Fox News and friends to tell us how great this brand new thing is. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

9 Likes

Except it’s hard to imagine how the courts would let the EO stand if the law was deemed unconstitutional.

6 Likes

I’m expecting him to announce an end to both of those things; an end to end of chattel slavery and an end to votes for women.

@anothernewbbaccount The Trump Memorial Anal Warts Clinic?

5 Likes

You’re right. I’m thinking way too complicated. We need someone who knows how to explain what light is and how to turn it on and off.

Yeah, I don’t see how this could possibly work. An executive order is not a law. I’m pretty sure this executive order does fuck-all (with or without the ACA). Certainly it wouldn’t help at all if the pre-existing conditions protection bit of the act was overturned in court, as the Trump administration is trying to do.

So no, this is absolutely not about actually protecting that bit of the ACA - Trump’s acts are entirely for the appearance of things. I’m just wondering what level of cognitive dissonance he’s expecting from his base. Either he expects the pre-existing conditions bit of the ACA won’t get overturned (before the election, anyways) despite his best efforts and he’ll get credit for it existing in the first place, or he expects it will, and his supporters will ignore reality in favor of this sham alt-reality he’s created where he “saved” pre-existing conditions protection with his executive order (even though they’re now gone). I wouldn’t put either past him, at this point.

6 Likes

This has never been done before by a white man.

8 Likes

Nuh, Uhh.
This one’s orange.

7 Likes

Truth be told, I don’t think that Trump has thought this out that clearly, although I suspect that some of the staff are afraid that the ACA will disappear before the election and throw new chaos into the insurance market. Trump is not the architect of his hotels or his policies. He is a crooked marketing guy that promises his marks EVERYTHING they want and then delivers only what courts force him to after he gets their money. The fact that those promises are simply a poorly thought out wish list and inconsistent with each other never slows him down. Low prices, coverage of pre-existing conditions, no mandate to purchase, no government mandates on prices…Everything to everybody and no conceivable way that can all be delivered.

12 Likes

Every time Trump tried to destroy Obamacare his staffers kept telling him that coverage of pre-existing conditions is one of the single most popular things the government has ever done. And that taking that away could actually erode his base.

After fighting this information for four years, he’s giving in by co-opting it and claiming it as his own. He really thinks nobody notices. And he thinks nobody notices he has no health care plan just a single plank of the platform. And one which, taken on its own with no other measures, causes health insurance prices to rise and doesn’t expand coverage.

4 Likes

If only we had a President who could negotiate and make deals

7 Likes

Funny thing is that it was the GOP that insisted that Obama’s name forever be tied to the ACA, not Obama.

9 Likes

I think this is the way they are trying to mitigate that point of opposition to killing off the ACA. This biggest reason even his base doesn’t want to lose it is the pre-existing condition clause. If they can say that the pre-existing condition protection exists outside the ACA, the path to get rid of it is cleared politically.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if the verbiage in that EO means something other than what they say it means, or has a host of disclaimers, such as the pre-existing condition has to be pre-existing at birth or something equally disqualifying.

6 Likes

This is just hedging his bets and posturing as it’s likely the courts won’t decide on the ACA until after the election. He can say, “see I’m getting rid of Obamacare and keeping your pre-existing conditions just like I promised!” Low information voters won’t see this for what I really is.

5 Likes

I figure Trump might have a vague awareness of what his administration is doing. Obviously he’s doing this to falsely take credit for pre-existing condition protection, I’m just wondering if he’s thinking about his administration’s attempts to destroy that protection at all. Not that it matters to him - it works either way, the reality isn’t important*.

*E.g. sending federal LEOs to Portland to stop imaginary “riots,” only to have their presence cause riots and an explosion in protester numbers, at which point he declared victory, claiming to have done the exact opposite of what he did do.

3 Likes

“and… you won’t be seeing me any more because I have big enemies. Namely, the GOP, which I have Manchurian candidated to pieces.”

1 Like

Is that so hard to believe considering the number of republicans who support the ACA but hate Obamacare?

10 Likes

All I can think about is this…maybe real, maybe fake…exchange captured in glorious color:

9 Likes

How do we -know- that policy came from Obama?

Have we seen its birth certificate?

11 Likes

Trumpcare?

1 Like