Trump announced a new executive order to protect people with pre-existing conditions in exactly the same way that Obamacare already does

He’s already got #Trumpvirus. What more could he need?

6 Likes

And Democrats have been saying for years that they were less concerned about what the law was called than what it did. Neera Tanden, president of the progressive think tank Center for American Progress, was interviewed about this shortly after the election in 2016:

GREENE: But what if under a revamped Republican version, those 20 million kept their coverage, but the law was no longer considered an Obama achievement?
TANDEN: If there’s a solution here and they want to rename it, I’m happy if they want to call it Trumpcare (laughter) and people keep their coverage. That’s - this is not an issue about credit. This is an issue about who - you know, people who have insurance and are deeply anxious they’re going to lose it. And if we can reform the law so it works more effectively and people keep their coverage, that’s fantastic. But our deep anxiety is that that is not what’s - what’s unfolding on Capitol Hill.

I’m almost positive Obama made public statements to the same effect around that time too.

4 Likes

This quote has been resonating with me as Donald’s been floundering at managing the pandemic.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the TrumpVirus. That’s the one he’ll really be remembered for.

5 Likes

Really his only skill as a “negotiator,” is to threaten to throw everything to the courts and drag out legal proceedings enough to bankrupt the other party. But now he’s not a middling sized real estate developer dealing with construction contractors. He’s in the bearpit with the trillion dollar healthcare and insurance industries. They can afford all the lawyers in the world, and are used to thinking long term. All he can do is try to look big and hope that the bear and the tiger that he is in the pit with aren’t hungry. Of course his first step is to ignore any advice from people that have gone through this before. His incompetence might be amusing, if he wasn’t literally going to get so many people killed.

4 Likes

This is part of Trump attempting to re-write history. Here he is claiming credit for the Veteran’s Choice Program, signed into law by Obama. https://youtu.be/zmoKkkMOEo0 Since he has nothing he can crow about as legislative accomplishment, he’s blatantly trying to steal credit from Obama. Big Lie tactics.

2 Likes

Obama even openly teased Republicans for coining the term Obamacare (which they did to try and tie his name to what they thought would be a failure).

3 Likes
3 Likes

It’s amazing how quickly we went from “It’s bizarre that Bob Dole referred to himself in the third person” to “The president does this every day, and that is fine”

4 Likes

Alas, RomneyCare, we hardly knew ye.

2 Likes

Millions of Americans with Covid-19.

Preconditions are going to be part of life.

4 Likes

In all fairness, we were always able to keep our pre-existing conditions.

4 Likes

{s} Lies, the death panels were going to take them away from you [/s]

4 Likes

… can’t even tell if it’s satire or not.

1 Like
3 Likes

Navarro told Chuck Todd on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that The “Lord and the Founding Fathers created executive orders because of partisan bickering and divided government. That’s what we have here, but the president has taken action.”

And there you have it. Christianity loves fascism because people disagreeing is wrong, and yet, their book says…

1 Samuel 8

10 And Samuel told all the words of the Lord unto the people that asked of him a king.

11 And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots.

12 And he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties; and will set them to ear his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots.

13 And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers.

14 And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants.

15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants.

16 And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put them to his work.

17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.

18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the Lord will not hear you in that day.

19 Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us;

It’s rare that I agree with much in the bible, but that is pretty much spot-on.

5 Likes

Christianity does not love fascism. There are Christians and strands of Christianity that go for fascism, but that’s a sadly universal human problem, and they’re definitely Doing It Wrong as the the teachings of Christ and most Christian theology are concerned.

3 Likes

Well, I suppose a blanket statement is always a little wrong. I apologize.

For the majority of history, the majority of Christianity supported governments consolidated under a single clenched fist, and I think many would prefer it now.

I apologize to the Quakers and the few other groups that see a bit more clearly.

I suspect Trump is planning ahead. He’ll need this cover for his conditions once his taxes have been investigate.

There’s ALWAYS a tweet…

4 Likes