Trump apologizes for boasting about groping women, says he'll be talking about Bill Clinton more now

One is a 60 year old man describing how he routinely sexually assaults women the other is largely right wing FUD.

5 Likes

Bill Clinton has been proven to disrespect his marriage and abuse his position to get some. Nothing illegal sticks, and there are accusations that follow him around, but what we know he did was abusive in a “part of the societal infrastructure repressing women” way.

What we know Trump did is similar in the sense that he is promoting rape culture and the secret boys club where you are allowed to openly be sexist and everyone needs to understand that - but he did it in the most crass and vulgar way that comes off denying he did anything wrong about the Miss Universe treatment and the way he brags it says he abuses his celebrity status regularly. So it may be a few degrees worse, but they’re in the same neighborhood. Trump just went from teflon coated to swimming in so much shit the teflon doesn’t matter while Bill Clinton has less shit on him but it has been smeared as thin as it can go all over him.

2 Likes

I bet we are going to find out soon. I have to believe that this release of ten year old tape was done to distract from the wikileaks release. It makes sense that they will keep more of they have for other HRC revelations, but throw out the best of them right before the real voting starts. They all should have released all the disqualifying on on each other long ago, so we could possibly be choosing between candidates worthy of the job.

How so? It’s not like this is the first major Trump scandal to hit the press. The release of terrible information about Trump has been a nonstop torrent since the day he stepped off that golden escalator to make the announcement. Likewise, information gleaned from or about Hillary’s emails has dogged her since day one.

11 Likes

I just read an article at the NYTimes (incognito…I decided to spend some time going through everything they’d been writing over the entire campaign trail) in which one of the women he groped repeatedly – because she felt she had to stay connected to him professionally so she couldn’t just walk away – said that one of the times she decided to vomit to get him away from her.

That’s the caliber of candidate the right wing is running for president.

15 Likes

I think it’s important that it be attached. Or at least that people believe it’s attached. Or possibly if you have a big enough collection.

Or on their way up. They’ve been mainstreamed and emboldened, now, whatever happens with TheRump. Like the Brexit vote, this will encourage them to believe that their numbers are bigger than they are, and like the Brexit vote, will result in an increase in hate crimes and similar behavior.

10 Likes

It’s not who I am. That goes back to when I was a young man of 60.

“Carpe Vulvae” - Donald Trump

4 Likes

Not on the rug, man.

7 Likes

Which rug do you mean? :wink:

8 Likes

The one that tied the room together

7 Likes

I mean the new release. It would make sense to have revelations about the other candidate prepared for such an incident. I don’t think this particular case is working the other way, as Trump is likely not much influence on wikileaks.
Knowing that HRC has a lot of interesting things in her past, her people have to assume that some of it will come to light as the election gets closer. Unless the information on her can be easily disproved, the best tactic would be to talk about something else. It looks to me that Trump’s remarks were extremely vulgar, but not out of character for him. If he said it yesterday, it would be a bigger deal. But I am sure that the exaggerated shock that he would say something vulgar 10 years ago is partly performance.

So someone does years of study and then has to throw it all away when they get their first “bad” client? Not only do they lose a career, but also no one in their right mind would bother becoming a defense attorney.

13 Likes

Its not likely. The process for replacing a candidate this late in the game is pretty messy, and completely untried. More over early voting has already started in a lot of states. So votes have already been cast for Trump. If this were the goal he likely would have dropped before all those hard deadlines hit, apparently about a month ago was the latest legal/practical point to replace a candidate. Also most of the talk about a replacement is still about Mittens and Pence.

Generally, or just specially?

3 Likes

Well, I know nothing of US law, but over here the defence is likely to be saying things like “It’s going to be very difficult to convince a judge of this” and a few other leading things in the hope of getting a guilty plea. Part of the running of the case is considering how the defendant is going to look in court, and it’s not just a matter of trying to get them to wear a shirt with a collar high enough to cover the BNP and swastika tattoos. It is actually part of the job of the defence to decide when a not guilty plea is actually going to make things worse.
As a child I was sometimes taken for lunch to a place where lawyers from the Old Bailey used to hang out, and the shorthand they used would be like “So, I’m a burglar, every second sentence I use prison slang, and I’m going to persuade the jury I forgot where I was and thought it was my house…”

I think it would be a huge strategic error for the Clinton campaign to try to secretly orchestrate revelations like this about Trump even if they were in a position to do so. Consider:

1. There’s no reason to believe the Clinton campaign has special access to NBC’s video archives or would be in a better position to unearth this recording than the media would on its own. If anything, the Trump campaign would be in a better position to cover up such a recording since this was the same network that aired his reality show The Apprentice.
  2. If the Clinton campaign had found this footage they could have just shared it openly. Releasing it in secret would just open them up to the possibility of getting dragged into conspiracy theories that would further sow distrust in both Hillary and her ties to the so-called “liberal media.”
  3. It’s not necessary for the Clinton campaign to orchestrate scandals like this to make Trump look bad; he does that all by himself. IMHO the “grab 'em by the pussy” comment may not even be the most damning controversy to come from Trump in the last couple of days. The same morning that the recording surfaced Trump was doubling down on his opinion that a group of black teenagers should have been executed for a violent sex crime they didn’t commit.
14 Likes

Well, on one hand you have a single woman accusing Bill of rape who kept enthusiastically supporting him after the alleged rape occurred, signed a deposition stating that she’d lied, and then changed her mind. You also have several other women who he had admitted to having consensual sex with.

On the other, you have a man bragging about how he loves to molest all the women he wants against their will and how he’d totally fuck his daughter if she wasn’t, er, his daughter. And who is going to court soon on a child rape charge.

Politics or no politics, it’s not hard to see why one is worse than the other.

14 Likes

Amazing. This is a thread discussing some reprehensible behaviour by Donald Trump.

Of the slightly under 200 posts on here, I think there are maybe a dozen that haven’t been very successfully led down the rabbit hole of hair splitting about something H. Clinton did as part of her job decades ago. For the most part the discussion is very reasonable, but it is - once again - not about the topic at hand.

This is brilliant misdirection.

9 Likes

I would not say that any of the major networks are unbiased towards HRC, if only for the reason that they are almost all democrats. And I think you misunderstand the Machiavellian depths to which both campaigns are willing to go for victory.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-why-did-nbc-pay-chelsea-clinton-20140616-column.html

That misdirection has to take place. There is simply no way that a sane human being could look at that fucking idiot racist misogynist Donald Trump and think he was fit for any public office.

7 Likes