Trump asks Supreme Court to block release of his tax returns

Originally published at: Trump asks Supreme Court to block release of his tax returns | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The fascists are gonna make their handpicked Supreme Court decide everything for them, aren’t they…

17 Likes

It’s a waiting game for the right-wing SCOTUS majority. Right now they still have to put up the pretense that they’re not politicised, so they may not rule in Biff’s favour here or will just kick it back down to a lower court. If the Senate and White House are controlled by the GOP after 2024, though, they’ll start acting more like the Russian Federation’s Constitutional Court and do their part to help the fascists consolidate their power into an effective one-party state.

33 Likes

Gonna need income for those high priced Tax Lawyers, the ones who insist
on getting paid in full, upfront!

20 Likes

He’s promised that he’ll release them after the next election.

26 Likes

Netflix Seriously GIF by Stranger Things

20 Likes

It would be good if at some point he was asked under oath whether his taxes were being audited.

10 Likes

I really don’t understand why T**** cares. He’ll just cry and wail about fake this and fake that and Hillary this and Hillary that and his Low IQanon “base” will drool and nod and not give a flying fuck that he’s a tax cheat.

13 Likes

ROI

15 Likes

I think crying to the supreme court is part of the kicking and screaming, the self-victimization that fuels his fundraising and maintained free media attention. The only weird part is that it continues to actually work* instead of just being a fundraising tantrum. He would move on to the Hillary this-and-that phase, but he doesn’t even have to.

*meaning, the other branches of government keep seeing it in their interests to validate and legitimize his fund-tantrums…

11 Likes

The key bit of that was writing off a billion dollars of other people’s losses from his income tax. I still have heard no good answer for why treasury didn’t prosecture for that. When you let grifters slide, they just go on to new bigger scams

21 Likes

It seems that the conservative majority in the court has decided these temporary stays are a useful way to buy their criminal allies in the GOP some time.

Of course, some will argue that since temporary stays issued by SCOTUS justices are routine mechanisms (true) and that therefore there’s nothing to see here. Ignoring the larger context of a deteriorating independent judiciary* allows room for distractions like that.

ETA: Huckleberry’s time just ran out.

[* thanks to GOP bad faith, vacancies on the SCOTUS are more likely to be filled only if the same party controls the Senate and the White House]

15 Likes
  1. He’s petty and has been arguing about it for six years, and to cave now would make him a loser.

2. His illegal money inflation/deflation technique has been a huge money maker. Even though he should never be able to get away with it again, delineating his income and taxes will prevent him lying in the future.

3. May open him up for further legal damage for past lies.

4.His margins of victory and defeat are razor thin. He knows that some people he discounts as rubes may turn on him, the more corruption is revealed.

11 Likes

Day after sale…

14 Likes

There’s no doubt he fudged his tax returns, and knows THAT is illegal, enough to put him in the clink.

9 Likes

I’ve seen numerous stories that the IRS has been so starved for funding that it’s very difficult for them to go after anyone who can mount an expensive legal battle.

12 Likes

He cares because there are probably evidence of real crimes that he knows he can’t get out of, so he’s trying to hide them as much as possible.

14 Likes

CNN’s guesses what trump is trying to hide by not releasing his taxes

1. Trump may not be as rich as he says he is
  2. He may not pay (or hasn’t paid) his fair share of taxes
  3. The $73 million refund …he got in 2010 was due to a lie in his taxes
  4. Trump may have loans with foreign countries or individuals
  5. He might not donate much (or anything) to charity

if i had to put down three quatloos in wager it would be #4 care of putin’s minions
…and of course, it could be ‘all of the above’

13 Likes

I’m guessing it’s probably all of the above… he loves criming.

14 Likes

Welp! Roberts just delayed the handover of the tax returns.

6 Likes