Trump bizarrely orders halt to W.H.O. funding amid coronavirus pandemic

It’s hard for me to look at this as anything but an attempt to pass the blame.

But Fox News will promote it, and conservatives will just eat it up.

And that’s the real core problem with the USA today, half the country is living in an alternate reality.

4 Likes

You sure the Admin won’t announce it as “BACTERIA FORCE!”

1 Like

Surely no one is surprised by this. This is what happens when reality seeps into Trump-world and he realizes he isn’t the smartest, strongest, big-handed, big-dicked, big-brained he-man in town. WHO doesn’t answer to Trump and they have no problem contradicting and correcting his statements. WHO is hung like a mule! The other issue is his miserable handling of this entire thing. Already he has begun re-writing history. Now he was on top of everything from the get-go and it was everyone else who dropped the ball. Perhaps he needed to halt funding because of their incompetence?

7 Likes

– WHO’s the scapegoat.
– I don’t know.
– Third base!

4 Likes

Can we exhume his parents to determine if their failure has a biological basis?

WHO is a world trusted organisation and have the power of giving health guideline as such. (Or at least, I thought it was)

On this particular case; No foreign doctors were allowed in China, No WHO members either to investigate the matters.
So WHO was just followed China blind. Completely fabricated numbers copied and paste with no warning.
There is no need for such disgrace.
Please have a look of the way this WHO adviser lied about “connectivity problem” during the interview.
Do the world need this clown as health adviser? Is this guy will take any responsibility for his advise later or will argue that he can’t hear you?

WHO is not all bad for sure, but on this matters, there are many issues that should be fixed quickly to regain trust.
We need a Organization who do not look your political color to give you health advise with clearance to investigate anywhere as pandemic as no borders. If WHO is not this, the world need such. (IMO)

4 Likes

Again:

Trump is attacking the WHO because they were accurately describing the catastrophic failure of the US response.

Enthusiastically buying into every piece of US propaganda, no matter how blatant, was bad enough in the pre-Trump era. Continuing to do it while Trump is in charge?

7 Likes

That’s just a lie. There was a whole team of 25 from the WHO, from all over the world who went to Wuhan (and Beijing and other hotspots) to observe and audit China’s response. I wouldn’t usually use such a strong rebuke, but it’s all there in the WHO report, including team members and methodology. It’s there for anyone to read, and anyone who comments on the topic of the WHO response to SARS-CoV-2 would read it before responsibly commenting on it.

ETA: I sympathize with Taiwanese independence, but asking the WHO to solve a problem the international community and the UN has been unable to resolve for over half a century is severely misguided.

14 Likes
9 Likes

At least the W.H.O. can absorb $200,000,000 of their losses in funding by just doing the same thing we are… staying home.

According to The Associated Press, the WHO routinely spends about $200 million a year on travel expenses, more than it spends to tackle mental health problems, HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria combined. In 2016, Margaret Chan, Director-General of WHO from November 2006 to June 2017,[175] stayed in a $1000-per-night hotel room while visiting West Africa.[176]

I can’t even begin to imagine what a $1,000 per night hotel room in West Africa looks like.

1 Like

It is important that the haves maintain their distance from the have nots; besides, the nots might blunder and use the dessert fork for the salad.

Trumpthoritah

6 Likes

The article text is not supported by the citation, and should be removed.

eta: The previous cite supports it. There was probably some choppy edit-warring.

4 Likes

But we know they are a crooked front for a covert chinese invasion, because it’s related to the UN! /s

5 Likes

Thanks for posting that report.

Thats not really what the report says. The 25 member team (14 were from outside mainland China) spent 2 weeks in mid-February in China studying covid-19, but “select team members only” went to Wuhan for 1 day.

A few things that stood out to me in the report (primarily that the data would never pass peer review because they’re clearly manipulated):

1. It says there were ~10000 epidemiologists in Wuhan doing contact tracing to determine transmission and they traced >99% of cases. This is highly dubious. I doubt there are close to 1000 working on tracing in the entire U.S. and even if there were its just not possible to do that sort of tracing for many patients that live in a crowded city
  2. The Chinese plots for cases by date use the date of covid-19 onset not the date of diagnosis. That requires tracing for every patient and hasn’t been done in the rest of the world mainly because its not really possible. These case curves for China are clearly at least somewhat doctored.
  3. The spike in cases on Jan. 31 for instance isn’t due to an increase in tests, its China arbitrarily saying people who tested positive in mid-February contracted it in January to backdate cases and make the February numbers look better.
  4. Similarly, the number of cases throughout January were increased through February in a way to maintain the same curve shape (Fig. 3).
  5. Their steeply declining mortality rate (Fig. 4) is purely due to this arbitrary backdating of cases.

This is actually the first clear evidence I’ve seen that China has mislead other countries about the virus’s spread to make their response look better. This is absolutely the same sort of thing that U.S. politicians would do if they could, but it is still depressing to see. The report itself never questions any of the data, but Figure 3 was clearly included to let anyone that wanted to read it critically see that the data was fudged

4 Likes

Slight but relevant nitpick - it’s not so much Taiwanese ‘independence’ that’s the problem. It’s that both the PRC and the ROC claim to be ‘the’ state of China.

You can only recognise one or the other.

4 Likes

I think that was true up until the audit in mid-February by the WHO, then China scrambled to get their numbers together.

I took the term “epidemiologists” rather loosely, to mean trained epidemiologists as well as people doing the legwork for them on the ground. More detectives than scientists/statisticians, which is how contact tracing is done. The key difficulty in contact tracing is finding people, and Wuhan was under lockdown during that time. 99% could be achieved with that many people working the case and a population that is stuck in their homes. And 10,000 is entirely believable considering the extent of the Chinese effort.

Quality nitpick. Still, realistically speaking, independence is the status quo and Taiwan is highly unlikely to manage control of mainland China in the next many decades.

4 Likes

Anyone who contracted it during lockdown could be traced. But, the data includes cases diagnosed in mid-February being determined to have been contracted in Wuhan a month earlier (1-2 weeks before the lockdown) and transmission through people who weren’t tested but were presumed to have it. It also claims over 99% tracing success outside of Hubei (including pre-lockdown spread). I don’t believe that could be done even with 10 thousand people on it.

The WHO official figures for China have since changed and now assign most cases to mid-February after either China’s original dates for onset or for diagnosis.
Even if the total number of Chinese cases currently reported is the most accurate possible estimate, it is depressing to see an official WHO report having to play politics, and report data that they would have known at the time was manipulated without explicitly calling it out as such.

3 Likes

Agreed, much like they are having to do with the USA now. :frowning:

3 Likes

Indeed. And it will NEVER be solved with the world as it is. Until the rest of the world stands up and tells China to stop behaving like a spoilt child, learn to share, and recognise reality - i.e. ‘we are all going to recognise and trade with Taiwan and if you want to withdraw from us all as a result, good luck with that’. But everybody falls for the China ‘divide and rule and throw our weight about’ approach to international politics. The only way to stop a bully is to stand up to a bully.

But the WHO guy’s craven caving when asked about Taiwan in public was despicable.

2 Likes