Trump calls Voice of America's work “disgusting”, threatens to adjourn Congress so he can put a crony in charge of VOA

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/16/trump-calls-voice-of-america.html

2 Likes

I’ve listened to VOA shortwave broadcasts, it’s classic propaganda. And yet Trump gets mad it’s not propagandistic enough for him. God this guy is such a loser.

25 Likes

Oh. So it’s a “fix my show!” tantrum.

4 Likes

Is he channelling Walter Ulbricht now?

2 Likes

So, stopped clocks then?

3 Likes

Originally governed by a bipartisan board, that was chopped in the Age of Trump.

The board of USAGM currently has only an advisory role; it previously supervised USAGM media networks directly, but was replaced with a single appointed chief executive officer as part of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017, which was passed in December 2016.[5][6][7][8]

Michael Pack from the Claremont Institute eh?

Yeah, Voice of America to be a blend of OANN, Breitbart and Infowars…

8 Likes

So WTF did they do to piss him off? I haven’t thought about VOA for ages.

3 Likes

Contradicted him in reporting regarding China.

5 Likes

“Perhaps it’s never been done before, nobody’s even sure if it has,”

Good god, the level of narcissism that has to be multiplied by the level of ignorance to make a statement like that is beyond comprehension.

15 Likes

Maybe he mixed them up with the now-defunct “Air America” radio network, an ill-conceived left-wing alternative to the likes of Limbaugh.

This? Trump pulls his tinpot dictator card out for a dispute over the VOA? What a horrid little man.

5 Likes

It’s classic confidence-artist patter, too. Not surprisingly given his consistent claim to fame since the 1980s.

5 Likes

"We have a tremendous number of people that have to come into government. And now more so than ever before because of the virus and the problem.”

Does Trump know that he himself is “the problem” in that sentence?

8 Likes

The guy can’t even toss a decent word salad.

7 Likes

The dissolution of Parliament didn’t end well for Charles I, but I’d be shocked if he knows that.

6 Likes

Dissolving Parliament didn’t work out that badly for Governor-General Sir John Kerr, but Trump’s more like Gough Whitlam in that little drama. Opinions still vary on the extent to which the Queen was involved.

1 Like

Fuck this guy.

Edit: He gives me an upset stomach.

1 Like

Trump is the anti-Gough. They are similar only in their inability to get stuff done, but apart from that, no.

I mean, only one of those people can read and talk, for a start.

4 Likes

… Yes, impeached president Donald John Trump is at it again …

Please show proper respect: his designated honorific is “Impeached and Manifestly Unfit U.S. President”.

6 Likes

I am so pulling for the “white hats” in “black ops”.