VOA to be run by Steve Bannon, Sebastian Gorka, and Trump CEO pick Michael Pack, so two top VOA directors just quit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/15/voa-to-be-controlled-by-trump.html

7 Likes

So the traditional word of America to the unfree world is now going full Sub-Goebells neo-nazi .

38 Likes

So that’s what he was distracting us from seeing when he was ranting about ramps and transgendered people.

19 Likes

They’re putting right-wing propagandists into VOA? Whatever next!

Why, that will turn it into a obvious political tool!

34 Likes

The Voice of America is not a news service, it is the propaganda arm of the United States government, set up expressly to counter the communist propaganda of the cold war.
If Steven Bannon takes it over and makes a shambles of the place, then I consider that a win.

21 Likes

Even our propaganda wing doesn’t have to be given over to fucking Neo-nazis. These are people who hate a good portion of Americans.

43 Likes

Huh. I figured Trump would take over OANN after he is removed from office. Guess he decided to start early.

11 Likes

That implies intentionality on Trump’s part. There isn’t any. If there’s distraction going on, Trump is the distraction. Trump is always just (mindlessly) being Trump, and this administration is always doing things that would normally be outrageous if another administration did them. It benefits from the obfuscating noise and chaos constantly being generated by Trump, but accusations of deliberate distractions don’t work because such schemes would require more competence - and shame - than anyone in this White House have ever displayed.

25 Likes

Voice of America

The idiots and those that support them? Like the rest of the planet didn’t already know about Trump/Etc?

3 Likes

If his damage was limited to only himself, then sure, making it a shambles would be a net good. But given that putting a sly accelerationist in charge of a big information network has serious potential for harms, let’s not celebrate just yet.

13 Likes

Gorka? The middle aged guy who dressed up in ‘Black Parade’ era My Chemical Romance cosplay for Trump’s inauguration? The same guy who made the world’s shittiest EDC setup?

It sounds like VOA’s programming is going to be tacky as fuck with him behind the scenes

10 Likes

You make a good point, but I’m taking the view that Bannon and friends are so incompetent they’ll make a huge mess of the whole thing, and it’ll go away.

Sebastian Gorka isn’t the competent fascist who scares the shite out of you (Stephen Miller, Reinhard Heydrich, et al); he’s one of the goofy, incompetent ones, like Rudolf Hess, there for comic relief. I mean, this is his website’s home page (seemingly beamed in from the 1990s):

He’ll be at VOA just long enough to wet the bed and then one of the competent ones will find a reason to quietly shuttle him out, and he can go back to hawking fish-oil pain pills on FNN/OANN.

8 Likes

The incompetence is a cover. Don’t underestimate highly motivated pond scum.

14 Likes

Competent or not, the fascist consolidation of power continues. I wish I could say I was surprised.

19 Likes

Who cares about the propaganda arm of the US? Everyone overseas has already seen through the bullshit of this administration (and, to some degree, have put everything the US has done over the last 70 years in a certain light). No trust given, no trust lost.

5 Likes

Steve Brannon is alive?

Are you sure that the Mercers didn’t just graft some animatronics into his corpse? Because that thing is at best a zombie; just look at the skin tone.

11 Likes

Trump’s been pushing hard on this for a while now.

5 Likes

Bannon friend Michael Pack was confirmed by the Senate 11 days ago.

4 Likes

I wonder if the shakeup is a result of how they are portraying what’s going on here, or if this tweet is more of a “seeya” to the incoming team (probably both):

4 Likes