Trump campaign buys '$1M+ a day' YouTube election day masthead ads: Reports

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/21/trump-campaign-buys-1m-a-d.html

3 Likes

So, any bets on what YouTube’s response will be when those “ads” turn out to be a pile of bald-faced lies and disinformation?

28 Likes

Ad-Blocker will never have been worth so much!

37 Likes

It’s OK, don’t worry, the money for those adds will come out of our pockets
and not the pockets of our dear leader or those of his campaign (as if there is a difference).

14 Likes

Trump being Trump, YouTube won’t see that money unless they get full payment in advance.

29 Likes

Wait a second…since when has Youtube ads been prime real estate? As in who the fuck watches them with interest?

12 Likes

I’ve just been reporting every ad and video for anything related to right wing politics as misleading/inappropriate or containing harmful information on YouTube

28 Likes

IDK, 'murica?

11 Likes

16 Likes

How the fuck could that be?325

5 Likes

How on earth they thought this was in any way a legitimate use of ad space means they don’t even have even a sense of pretending to have ethics for marketing purposes. Particularly before the Democratic primary is even over…so no campaign could gauge whether it was worth trying a similar thing, or at LEAST squatting half. Google needed just one more million that badly? And/or the space wouldn’t have sold otherwise?

My fucking kingdom for some campaign finance reform.

23 Likes

Youtube has advertisements?

I can’t see them with Firefox + uBlock origin plugin.

17 Likes

YouTube will apologize - after the election.

12 Likes

Part of YouTube’s plan to “encourage” people to buy their ad-free subscription service perhaps?

7 Likes

45 Likes

Nothing at all, as long as the checks clear.

The kind of people who vote for Trump, apparently.

7 Likes

Funny…I do watch some things using YT often enough, but to me the market for it is really my youngest son. At 12, he and his friends are constantly on YT.

Which…kind of fits as to why Nostradumbass would want advert time there…he thinks about at a 12 yr old’s level.

6 Likes

Considering the number of exposures that YouTube’s masthead gets, the CPM for that campaign is suspiciously low. Unless that “$1M+” has a really, really big plus sign after it.

And I’m sure that my tax money is paying for it - and I’m not talking about three bucks to the Presidential Election Campaign Fund.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Now I know to avoid YouTube in November.

One thing trump never learned: “Familiarity breeds contempt.”

And, boy do I have contempt for that asshole.

10 Likes