Trump campaign chief: it's not lying if he didn't know whether it was true or not when he said it

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/26/trump-campaign-chief-its-no.html

10 Likes

This line of reasoning worked for Reagan during the Iran/Contra hearings.

24 Likes

Wait, I’m confused.

So if a campaign manager doesn’t know for sure that her candidate isn’t crazy, but she encourages voters to think her candidate isn’t crazy, then is the campaign manager lying or just crazy?

33 Likes

It’s crazy lies all the way down.

29 Likes

So the lesson here, everyone, is not that Trump is a liar, but that he just doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

How that makes him qualified to be president is still a mystery.

43 Likes

Yes.

more characters to appease the Boing One.

15 Likes

It really boils down to the definition of what “is” is.

LOL. Politicians lying. How do I make that shocked face emoji?

15 Likes

Yes, your honor, it wasn’t vehicular manslaughter because I had my eyes closed the whole time.

13 Likes

They may have got some inspiration for this one from our last major bastard:

4 Likes
16 Likes

I hope he says “People are saying xxxx” or “I’ve heard that xxxxx” and Clinton pounces on it.

“Who’s saying that? Who’d you hear that from? Because the [ insert list of credible actual sources ] say the exact opposite so I’m curious where you’re getting your information. As president you can’t be listening to hearsay.”

22 Likes

Everything you see about Trump, from the Nazi memes to his incoherent rally gibberish–is bullshit.

Well, it’s just more obviously bullshit than is pretty much everything you see and hear from Clinton. Sadly, Trump’s outlandish bullshit makes Clinton’s bullshit seem reasonable by comparison.

13 Likes

If this president thing doesn’t work out, Trump can always find work as a marine biologist.

5 Likes

Thanks for bringing Frankfurt’s essay into this; it was the first thing that leapt to mind for me, too. It’s times like this that call for Bea Arthur:

14 Likes

Kind of funny how that works, huh?

11 Likes

His supporters won’t mind… Supporters of populist demagogues never really care about facts or truth, they care about feelings. If it feels true, to them it is true. Maybe even more true than the actual truth.

The actual truth is grimey and complex. It requires you to accept that sometimes things you don’t like work and things you do like don’t. It requires you to accept that things you like may have a dark side.

But with Trump, the things you like are all “fantastic” and “the best ever” and the things you don’t like are “dumb” and “stupid”. Much easier to handle.

25 Likes

it’s not lying if he didn’t know whether it was true or not when he said it

Trump puts ketchup on hotdogs.

9 Likes

30 Likes

34 Likes

29 Likes