Trump campaign ejects reporter from Trump Tower after overhearing him speaking in Spanish

a sure-fire way to get out of having to ever talk to Trump, finally I can sleep in peace!

2 Likes

I fully support Trump doing jackass things that spoil his chances of being elected.

7 Likes

Funny thing is I give Clinton the same support.

5 Likes

9 Likes

I got the reference, thanks. However, and despite the cultural reference being made, I thought it was interesting that the AHD’s definition of expatriate appears to me to carry more negative connotations than their definition of immigrant.

No.

Or, if we go with evil genius theory of Trump, he knew that the TV station caters to the Latin American market, and is using this to energize his base because racism.

1 Like

On the face of it, this ranks so high on the stupidity a xenophobia scales, that I find it hard to believe. My gut is telling me that there is something more to the story. It can’t just be that he spoke Spanish. Could he have said something else? Could he have said something in Spanish that was picked up by a campaign worker?

If Trump’s campaign is indeed this dumb and xenophobic, then it should be a cakewalk for Clinton (or whoever will be running against him).

3 Likes

It’s not racism/xenophobia!

It’s just that anybody smart enough to speak two languages is unlikely to be a Trump supporter.

His demographic fall more in the 0-1 language range.

10 Likes

The ones who would be like Korben Dallas’s “Look, lady, I only speak two languages: English and bad English” if they, you know, ever actually managed to learn how to speak English?

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of the Bush family, but they probably represented the Republican party’s last best hope to get in good with the Spanish-speaking immigrant crowd before demographic trends make the party altogether unviable for national office. Jeb has legit cred with the Mexican-American community, and W. frequently made apparently-earnest-if-unintentionally-hilarious gestures for outreach as well.

Trump isn’t just a xenophobic bigot, he’s also really bad at math if he thinks he can win this thing without doing the same.

4 Likes

I’m somehow reminded of Gerald Ford. But he at least attempted to eat the tamale.

1 Like

You guys keep assuming the vote counting will be fair. What makes you think that, at this point?

10 Likes

I know right? The crack team at Trump HQ, controlling every detail of the campaign as long as people speak foreign into their phones whilst in earshot.

I mean can you imagine how it would have panned out if this reporter got past their expert scrutiny? Why he may have translated Trump’s answers into Spanish, and then people who speak Spanish would know what he said!!!

Luckily they prevented that from happening. Ever.

4 Likes

“Liked” for the Fifth Element reference! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

How many dignitaries will cancel when they hear him speak Trump,?

8 Likes

What a pity the Buzzfeed article is a hoax, according to Marcos Stupenengo himself.
http://bbs.boingboing.net/users/activate-account/71a459847feec93f176d7997bc522867

If Donald Trumpet is as bad as everyone says, it makes me wonder why the media keep having to go out of their way to fabricate stories to prove it.

If Trump were any good at math, he’d have stuffed his inheritance into market-rate mutual funds instead of playing at “business.”

6 Likes

Your link is broken.

2 Likes

Stupenengo never said the article a “hoax,” merely that it was inaccurate in saying he’d had a personal interview scheduled.

He was at Trump Tower (with prior permission) to film B-roll and speak to staffers. He does maintain that he was removed from the site for speaking Spanish.

Buzzfeed has since updated their story with the clarification. The only news outlet using the term “hoax” to describe the initial Buzzfeed report is Breitbart News.

8 Likes

Watching someone else get called out in another thread made me want to re-reply here. Apologies if I was terse in my previous reply.

I got the reference and took it as a needless swipe at Cory’s use of “expat” as opposed to “immigrant”. I think it bothered me because, in my experience, Cory isn’t someone who needs calling out on this point–he doesn’t, in one breath, call the green-eyed white guy an expat and then in the same breath refer to a POC as an immigrant. So why bother?

But as I was not chosen as the arbiter of what things are, or are not, allowably stated on BB, the OP comment is as fair as a comment can be, regardless of whether I like it or not.

As for the choice of words between “expatriate” and “immigrant”, I’ve found articles claiming distaste for “expat” just as I’ve found articles claiming distaste for “immigrant”. It seems “Immigrant” as negative appears mostly related to America, whereas “expat” as negative appears related to others. Perhaps Cory knows the reporter above and is aware that he is not planning to stay in America–hence “expat”–or perhaps not, I haven’t the faintest.

Beyond that, I did find it interesting that, at first glance, the AHD definition of “expatriate” seems to me to carry many more negative statements than does the entry for “immigrant”. Apropos of nothing, but still something I noticed.

Lastly, @Metostopholes , I’m still at a solid, “No.” with “Cool your jets.”