Trump campaign frisks, then blocks ticketed Washington Post reporter at Pence rally

I’m definitely going to refuse entry for dead nazi reporters at my convention :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What about allowing entry to a free and public event? Because tickets were free. You had to register, but there was no cost.

Then there would not be a refund needed when you turn them away from your private event. The event in question was not public.

This is totally distorted.
He was just denied entry because he wasn’t carrying enough guns.

10 Likes

This explains the frisking!

2 Likes

That makes it less shitty, at best, but it’s a bad look anyway. Besides, from my reading of the available info, this looks to be the case of one overzealous supporter having a small bit of authority and abusing it thusly. Isn’t there a related saying about the things dungheaps attract?

2 Likes

No, no. . . you got it all wrong. He wasn’t banned because he’s a reporter, he was banned because he has a Hispanic name.

(So, is Trump going to stipulate that during the debates there can be no “tough questions”?)

5 Likes

Unless they’ve previously been disruptive, this seems really thin-skinned. If they’re just going to write their slanted perspective on their right-wing “news” sites, there shouldn’t be any harm in allowing them to attend unless demand is going to exceed capacity and you have a legitimate need for other particular people to attend, like constituents of the local region. But if you’re going to do that, do that at the point of purchase. State it up front. Don’t do like Trump’s people and jerk someone around and then deny them access after they’ve paid for a ticket. And if you deny access, the ticket better be refundable.

3 Likes

If the people Drumpf has working the doors doesn’t like someone, I support them turning people away.
Because you see, I simply don’t like right wing nazi homophobic christian soldiers so I would turn them away simply out of hatred and in spite. After all, anyone can discriminate in this manner and they should. You should be proud of how you discriminate. It is simply a sign of someone who is honest about their convictions and has the will to act upon those convictions.
Of course, this works both ways. Take Drumpf for example. It’s easy to make the decision to never let him in anything I can keep him out of. Because I am so jealous of that right, I’m not going to take it away from anyone, not even Drumpf.

You don’t have to give them a platform to speak, but it could be good to give them an opportunity to listen. You’re either resigned to or completely in favor of falsely dichotomous divisions in our political system. Sure, not everyone can or will change their minds, but some might and being somewhat receptive within reason could go a long way towards that. Digging in and being as much of a dick to them as they are to you is like trading gunshots with someone in order to negotiate a peace treaty. And if you’re not interested in some kind of peace or agreement, you’re not interested in progress unless you’re willing to be authoritarian and then you’d be as bad as they are.

3 Likes

Here is a great life tip that has served me well. You don’t have to tolerate intolerable people. This notion that every idea or point of view is valid and wwe should include everyone is just silly. This is why we discriminate.
Some discrimination is abhorrent like discrimination due to the color of your skin. However, discrimination for your actions or character is perfectly acceptable. In fact, I’d say without it, you are kind of lost.
It is in no way authoritarian to turn away people you don’t like. It’s normal and healthy to do so.
How turning away from people and ideas I don’t like relates to being OK with a 2 party system… well, I just don’t see the connection.
Also, no one is digging in or entrenching themselves in anything here. This is just me saying that the reporter is acting butt hurt with no real cause. I imagine if he held a party that was invite only and met someone at the door who obviously should have not gotten an invite because they are the kind of person the report does not like, then that reporter would probably turn them away.
This is all very simple stuff. My guess is that the desire to bash Drumpf is so strong in most of us that it’s hard not to rage every time we hear his name.

I agree that you don’t have to tolerate intolerant people…when they’re actively being intolerable. Banning them outright without actual justification other than “I don’t like you,” just leads to eye-for-an-eye retaliation and causes people to become more entrenched. It also makes you look bad to people who might be on the fence.

Like I said, you don’t have to give them a platform at your public-invited “private” party for your public campaign to become a public servant and you can certainly have security eject them if they become disruptive, but this is a reporter, not an activist protester. What were the chances he was going to storm the stage with a sign or a gimmick while chanting “Never Trump?”

There’s a significant difference between listening and disrupting, between the press and protesters, between tolerating a person’s presence and tolerating their intolerant point of view.

7 Likes

Are you saying that it would be correct to ban you from this site if the powers-that-be found you intolerable?

Or is the sauce only for the goose, not the gander?

2 Likes

Trump has blacklisted several major media outlets from his campaign events. Legally, he’s within his rights to do so. Historically, however, it’s highly unusual for someone running for the highest executive office of the U.S. government to do so.

The extent to which he has blacklisted the media speaks of someone either with skin thinner than a mouse’s scrotum* or with ominous, authoritarian tendencies. These are not mutually exclusive.

*Get used to seeing this description because (1) it’s accurate and (2) I want to see this phrase go so viral that George Will is using it by mid-September.

7 Likes

But he isn’t going to force people to quarter soldiers. Nobody ever talks about the constitutional amendments he won’t violate. Typical liberal bias, only reporting on the negatives, and resorting to gotcha journalism.

4 Likes

Real Muricans™ would be happy to house Trump’s best classy brown-shirt-wearing soldiers! They’ll even show your kids how to reload their firearms…and subsequently be schooled by the kids on how to shave off 3 whole seconds from their disassembly and reassembly drills!

1 Like

He can’t bear to hear a bunch of Democrats say not-so-nice things about him. He can’t let people ask him difficult questions. What’s he going to do when he’s president and he’s got half of congress saying he’s inept? Cry? This isn’t someone who is fit for office. He’s simply not. Seriously - he’ll spend all his fucking time revoking privileges, tweeting to whoever bad mouthed him, and nonsense like that. If you can’t take half of the country – and in Trumps case the vast majority of celebrities – saying shit about you, just live off your billions somewhere quiet. Jesus H. I predict the debates will be disastrous for him.

6 Likes

It used to be you let journalists into your event because it was newsworthy, not because you expected them to sing your praises.

Even if individual journalists are known to not act with integrity and only attend to find ways to attack you, that’s on them, not you.

5 Likes

The irony is that Trump should be kissing the feet of the television media, seeing as they appear to be crowded underneath the damn carp like bottom-feeders waiting for a crumb.

3 Likes

Will Wheaton nailed it:

https://twitter.com/wilw/status/758870199546150916

Stock up on ghee while you’re at it. That stuff’s delicious for making popcorn.

7 Likes