Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows granted immunity from prosecution

Originally published at: Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows granted immunity from prosecution | Boing Boing

9 Likes

However-so-ever, it seems like the trending trumpy tactic is to flip and then run to the media and (lie, presumably) that no such flippage has occurred

Powell declares her plea deal was extorted.

On her social media accounts, Powell has continued to push claims that the 2020 election was rigged and that prosecutors in Georgia who brought the criminal case against her are politically motivated. The newsletter published by her dark money group has shared articles arguing Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis “extorted” her guilty plea. www.businessinsider.com/…

(no honor among thieves continues even after they have admitted they were thieves)

17 Likes

These fascist scumbags can claim whatever they want to the rubes, but the prosecutors aren’t giving them “Queen for a Day” deals just because they’re swell guys and gals.

The interesting part will be seeing how they try to weasel out of the deals when they take the stand against their master. They’re cheats and liars by nature, with the arrogance to believe they can put one over on some of the toughest prosecutors in the justice system.

31 Likes

Maybe they’re just trying not to get shot?

16 Likes

You just knew these guys were going to sing sing sing to save their butts. None of them are G. Gorden Liddy types. And I guess the judicial system can be thankful for that.

12 Likes

Maybe they’re just trying not to get shot?

I hadn’t thought of that, but you’re right. To turn on His Orangeness publicly is literally to endanger one’s life, given his violent, spittle-flecked cult.

Don’t get me wrong <<coughMindycough>>, these people are generally scum, and they’ll get no tears from me for having signed up for this, given that innocent poll workers and justice department employees are taking the same risks just by doing their goddamn jobs.

But it’s just as true that these flippers are reasonable in fearing for their lives, and they really do have to put out public statements on RWNJ channels saying they didn’t mean it.

“Sow, meet reap.”

I hope they live in mortal fear every minute of the rest of their accursed lives.

15 Likes

Trump has called Meadows, one of the former president’s closest and highest-ranking aides in the White House, a “special friend” and “a great chief of staff — as good as it gets.”

… and, “Who the fuck is this guy?! I’ve never heard of him!”

15 Likes

I suspect it’s an “a little Column A, a little Column B” situation.

On one hand, they want to keep money flowing, and maintain whatever influence in that world that they can.

On the other hand, they fear the baying mob they helped create and enable.

7 Likes

Add one more thing where the statements made in legal proceedings and the statements made to the general public are completely different. That’s been true about everything related to the 2020 election from them, why would it change now.

Without knowing the exact terms of the deal, who knows if this breaks it or not. It it does break the deal, the prosecution will not take it lightly.

11 Likes

You mean to tell me Trump demands complete one-way loyalty from them, but refuses to give them anything in return, and this is the thanks he gets??

12 Likes

Someday, maybe 20 years from now but hopefully sooner, people will accurately portray Trump for what he was, and every one of these motherfuckers will claim that they were never really with him or on his side.

12 Likes

Maybe this has been brought up before and I haven’t seen it…but, holy shit.
Who is Meadows’ attorney?

And is this why the Rs like to use the Sideshow Bob Defense?!

7 Likes

Plea deals can reasonably be regarded as extortion, but judges do not generally like this to be pointed out the those seeking to plea their cases down.

5 Likes

Trump has called Meadows, one of the former president’s closest and highest-ranking aides in the White House, a “special friend” and “a great chief of staff — as good as it gets.”

Mark “Friend of Caesar” Meadows:
“Friends, Americans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Trump, not to praise him!”

3 Likes

What’s going to happen when Trump’s legal team points out the discrepancy? Are they hoping it creates enough reasonable doubt (in any criminal trials) or weakens the prosecution’s case (in civil trials) for Trump to skate by on a slick of oil from hamberder wrappers?

4 Likes

Presumably, only information presented in court can be used as part of the trial and not random stuff people say outside. As long as the statements in court are consistent. Which if brought up, would require confirming those external statements were false.

But, really, there’s no way his lawyers want to add in statements made outside of court.

3 Likes

Would Göring have been granted immunity at Nuremberg if he had testified that he tried to convince Hitler the war was lost?

1 Like

Nope, because (like Meadows) they had him dead to rights on a whole bunch of serious crimes and (unlike Meadows, AFAIK) those crimes involved direct responsibility for murders. Speer (the self-described “good Nazi”) getting 20 years instead of hanging was the closest thing any of the high-ranking Nazi defendants came to a “good deal”.

In any case, the way to avoid being complicit in a fascist regime is not by trying to convince the irrational autocrat that he lost, but rather to resign when it becomes clear the irrational autocrat only wants to be surrounded by yes-men who tell him that he won. Meadows was there in the bunker from 2020 right until they were kicked out on 20 January, 2021.

12 Likes

they can be coercive, i think they’d have to be illegal to be extortion.

( and viewed another way, they’re also gifts: it’s not like these people didn’t crime by trying to overthrow our democratically elected government. they deserve prison time. that they aren’t is really quite nice, and just in time for… checks notes… oh… never mind, halloween :jack_o_lantern: )

9 Likes

Exactly my point: Meadows should be getting his ass handed to him in court, not immunity from prosecution.

1 Like