Trump denies promising $1M to Elizabeth Warren's charity pick if DNA test proved Native American ancestry

We will say: I will give you a million dollars, to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you're an Indian, you know.

I have a feeling he [his lawyers] will try to weasel out of it by claiming the condition to be fulfilled (“she’s an Indian”) means “she’s 100% Indian”, rather than “she has some Indian heritage.”

But it does seem that what he uttered was a legally enforceable offer.

I am dying to know what Andrew Torrez on the Opening Arguments podcast thinks of this. To answer questions like, who has standing? (who can sue?) Does Warren herself have to sue? (That’s Trumps whole gamble, making her sully herself and waste her time/money/prestige in a grimy lawsuit.) Or can anyone sue on her behalf, since the money is going to charity?

Sure, he lies proficiently-- but he very rarely legally exposes himself by offering money if someone can disprove his lie.

5 Likes

Poor Flick!

2 Likes

Sane peps of the world know he’s a serial liar. His 30% bigoted base of the electorate doesn’t care and never will. 45 doesn’t care. His scorched earth PR policy does it’s job keeping everyone on the defensive while he moves on and the fascists behind the scenes enact their criminal policies daily. 45 and his family have never been held accountable for their actions. Until they do, and I do hope it’s soon, his smoke and mirrors will do the job it’s supposed to.

11 Likes

He doesn’t have a million bucks.

11 Likes

That seems probable. If Trump wasn’t such a pathological liar he would have lead with that weaselly goal post moving. Instead, he made a totally unnecessary, easily proved lie, as he frequently does. There is nothing he won’t reflexively lie about.

5 Likes

The attempts at gaslighting in the age of digital recording would be comical…if the stakes weren’t so high and if there weren’t still people who bought the lies (or willingly overlooked/ justified them).

11 Likes

When Donald Trump speaks, Donald Trump lies.

15 Likes

I don’t really think that’s true. He’s promised money for all manner of reasons and causes over the years, both before and after launching his presidential campaign. He even flippantly promised to pay the legal bills of people at his rallies who beat up protesters. But when push comes to shove, he almost never actually follows through on those pledges. It took considerable investigative journalism and media shaming to get him to donate a fraction of what he’d promised to give to a veterans’ group after skipping one of the Republican primary debates to do a fundraiser (ostensibly to raise funds for said group) on an aircraft carrier.

15 Likes

I would put Trump’s charity fraud(s) in a different category. Those are situations where he says “I am going to donate $X to someone.” He cannot be easily sued, because all he is saying is that, some day, he is going to donate. They can only shame and embarrass him into paying: “Hey, uh, its been 2 years…” Shame and embarrass Donald Trump? Good luck.

In Warren’s case, he’s explicitly saying “If she does X, I will pay $Y.”

Lawyer disclaimer: I are not a lawyer.

4 Likes

Still waiting for Sean Hannity to be waterboarded for charity too.

13 Likes

He also claimed in the 60 Minutes interview that he didn’t mock Dr. Ford. It’s gaslighting on a national stage. “Truth isn’t truth.”

14 Likes

Probably not. It was part of a fantasy passage in which he imagined debating Warren (presumably in the leadup to the 2020 presidential election), throwing a hypothetical pre-paid DNA test kit at her.

Nonetheless, it shows the exact value of his assertions - $0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. Or less.

10 Likes

No, he’ll just say it never happened, and then make fun of her for thinking she’s an Indian because her great great great great great great great great grandmother might have been native. And that she actually took a test to find this out. And that she thinks she passed a test where she scored a .4 (Trump scored 100% on his intelligence test after all.)
His fans will think it’s all hilarious, her fans will be outraged, everyone wins except the National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center. Actually, they win too, with publicity and probably a bunch of donations from Warren’s supporters.

3 Likes

I already see conservatives claiming the ancestry test shows she’s NOT Native American, because the majority of her genes are European, so technically Trump can renege on the deal (as if he ever needs a reason.) Of course she has always said she was only part Native, so whatever.

2 Likes

I’m a cult of personality, a cult of personality, a cult of person-al-i-ty!

4 Likes

I hate to defend Donald Trump, (and I’m confused if he denied saying the entire quote, or is just denying that it was an actual promise), but the full quote is CLEARLY in a future hypothetical, not a statement.

I assume he’s denying saying the entire thing at all, just because that’s how he rolls, but even if he did, it’s a statement of what he would say, hypothetically, not something he actually said or intended to do.

Again, I feel dirty because the whole thing is more of Trump’s stupidity and arrogance but criticizing him for not following through when he didn’t promise to do something is the same as criticizing Kavanaugh for eating glue as a kid. Concentrate on the actual horrible things they’ve done, not reach for every little thing.

10 Likes

So, she’s somewhere between 1/32 and 1/512 indian. She should not apply to any of the native tribes because it takes more than that for them to consider you ‘part indian’.

1 Like

I’ve already had the displeasure of Cult45 people denying he ever said it. Send em a link to the vid and they discount the source. Reality is not in play for Cult45.

7 Likes

18 Likes

Agreed, I don’t understand why this isn’t obvious. What he said was this:

“Let’s say I’m debating Pocahontas,” Trump explained, “I promise you I’ll do this: I will take, you know, those little [ancestry] kits they sell on television for $2…[standard bloviation, yadda yadda] …And we will say, ‘I will give you $1 million to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian.’

So he HAS promised to make that offer if and when he debates her, but clearly did not make the offer then and there. It’s disheartening to see people (and “news” websites) intentionally leaving off the “And we will say”.

7 Likes