Trump denies promising $1M to Elizabeth Warren's charity pick if DNA test proved Native American ancestry

Ha! I’m not falling for this! I can clearly tell that this isn’t tRump!

(too evolutionarily advanced, and not orange enough!)

1 Like

Simply saying “I am going to give $X of my own money to XYZ charity” is not enforceable.

Now, if someone else gives you some funds and you’ve promised that all funds you receive you are going to donate to XYZ charity, that’s a completely different issue.

Here’s why it became a thing -
" Harvard Law School in the 1990s touted Warren, then a professor in Cambridge, as being “Native American.” They singled her out, Warren later acknowledged, because she had listed herself as a minority in an Association of American Law Schools directory. Critics note that she had not done that in her student applications and during her time as a teacher at the University of Texas."

source - https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/29/politics/elizabeth-warren-native-american-pocahontas/index.html

2 Likes

Ok, So if the question is, does she have Native American ancestors, the answer certainly appears to be yes, she does. Does that make her Native American? (Which I do not think she has actually claimed) I do not know how that works. In a country as mongrel as ours (and I say that as a good thing) I suspect most of us have non WASP ancestors, no matter how white we look. Acknowledging that ancestry should be unifying. However, if someone is using some sliver of oppressed minority ancestry to claim benefits meant for those who have suffered under our racist system, present and past, that is a shitty act and should be called out for it.

4 Likes

Statute of frauds: it probably has to be in writing because the amount is over $500.

1 Like

I think this is more about Warren signaling her run for president. She knows that once the midterms are over, the national focus will pivot to 2020, and this is her dealing with a Trump talking point head-on. Should make for an interesting democratic primary if Bernie throws his hat in too.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t see why she felt like this test proved her point. The test results say that at best she had a Native great great great great great grandparent. This is like telling your folks you’ve done “a little” of your homework when all you’ve done is write your name on the paper. Technically true, basically false.

I’m not at all saying I think she intentionally made false statements. Just that I think it’s really weird that she’s trumpeting these results like they’re some kind of vindication. I LOVE Elizabeth Warren but I think she was myopically insensitive on this.

She’s never tried to apply to any of them, nor used her supposed Native ancestry to get ahead. Of course, GOP has been spinning this wildly, so now a lot of people imagine she coasted through Harvard on Affirmative Action or something.

5 Likes

Again, she related family stories that said she had Native ancestors in the way back. And it appears that these family stories are actually accurate. To claim that you have certain ethnic ancestry when you actually do, in fact, have such ancestry should not be penalized. Hell, in the not very distant past, that degree of non-white ancestry would have been sufficient to disqualify her for many positions of authority. (Of course, so would her gender, but that’s a different discussion) Is it really the position of the left now that acknowledging ethnic ancestry in a visually white person is somehow racist? Do we need to now deny our ethnic ancestors to avoid being denounced by the left, for pete’s sake? How far out have we really gone?

7 Likes

ds9-jadzia-really

8 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, Reddit’s /r/Keep_Track is reporting that Russian and American trolls/bots are freaking out over Elizabeth Warren’s DNA test. Highest activity in a while..

The russian and right-wing trolls have decided that this is a perfect wedge issue and they’re taking advantage of it for their own nefarious purposes.

7 Likes

Do people (including Elizabeth Warren) not get that this just plays to Trump’s strengths and only benefits him?

This kind of tit for tat name-calling and utterly pointless back and forth is where Trump is a preternatural genius, and Democrats are idiots if they think that they can engage in this and come out on top electorally. This only fires up Trump’s base by giving him an easy target to mock and is so unthethered from anything that matters that it only makes Democrats look like they’re biting around Trump’s ankles hoping to get noticed.

Oh well, I’m sure the Biden vs. Booker vs. Bloomberg primary race in two years will really fire up the base and we’ll have nothing to worry about. GODDAMNIT.

4 Likes

the test proved she’s 1/1024th native American, thats 0.08% related to native americans which is actually lower than the average white person who’s 0.9%

What lie? The ancestry test shows she was definitely NOT lying.

What crap. It’s 6 to 10 generations, consistent with her assertion that her grandmother (2 generations removed) told stories that she had Native American ancestry.

8 Likes

This misleading argument sure is getting repeated a lot.

The test proved that Warren has .09% to 1.5% Native American ancestry. So I can no more say that Warren has MORE Native American ancestry than the average European American person than you can say she has LESS. We don’t know that. We only know that Warren has between .09% to 1.5% and the average European American has .18%.

6 Likes

Eh? Please point to the “tit-for-tat and name-calling” that Warren is engaged in. I’d like to see that.

She did the right thing: counter BS racism with fact. Of course Trump and the trumpkins don’t care about fact, but most of everyone else does.

4 Likes

Why do you suppose she picked right now to do it? It, along with Hillary’s statements about Bill, seem like a totally unnecessary distraction ahead of the midterms.

2 Likes

Because she rightfully wants to shut down the racist BS that’s been directed against her. You think Trump and the GOP were going to let it go? Of course not. At least now, everyone who actually gives a rat’s ass about facts knows she was telling the truth all along.

If people are going to criticize her for having the ancestry test done, and also criticize her if she didn’t, that’s an impossible position. Pick one.

5 Likes

I don’t question her motives or her actions. I question the timing.

So, like the BLM protests, it has to be done at a convenient, pre-approved time and place?

If there’s a strategy to the timing, how about pre-midterms in order to make Trump, et al, look like the reality-challenged jerkwads they are?

4 Likes