Trump dumps Rudy

I’m both happy that you pointed out the typo, and were kind about it. I’m also happy that some of my mistakes were funny.

18 Likes

Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination. I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way . Never trust anyone who can’t spell a word more than one way .

Mark Twain / Samuel Clemens

16 Likes

Trump’s PAC also complained about McConnell today.Apparently he was going to make fun of Mitch’s double chins, but his staff talked him down - then one of them leaked it. :smile:

2 Likes

“It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare.”
—MARK TWAIN

9 Likes
20 Likes

I would have never managed to drag Simon Bar Sinister out of my memory to dopplegang Rudy, but holy SHIT! You have to do NOTHING to the character for it to work! I mean, the hair dye is a nice touch but it’s hardly needed!

That is some creepily prescient shit on the part of the character designers.

11 Likes

Perfect…

3 Likes

The bill? Hell, he probably hit Rudy up for donations.

7 Likes

I think you did Simon Bar Sinister a disservice there.

3 Likes

I mean, even if we see their consequences, someone else will STILL do this again.

This belief that these people will suffer consequences, and that other people would sit there and go, “Oh, goodness. The last person suffered consequences for this, perhaps I should not” is not the kind of thoughts sociopaths like Trump have. The thought they have is, “Well, they got caught. Clearly I’m smarter and better than they are, though, and I won’t get caught.”

There’s not going to be justice that fits, and there’s not going to be deterrence. By the time someone gets to the point where they are powerful enough to be a career politician, they’ve most likely already sold their soul. The only question that remains is how long do we let this asshole live rent free in our heads.

EDIT: At least this all is how I view it. I’m sorry, I realized I was a little too preachy here. This is how I feel at this point. I’m tired of Trump still getting all the news cycles.

6 Likes

While it may not extend to politics, the dominant research in criminal justice is that it is the certainty of getting caught, not the severity of punishment, that is the primary deterrent to criminal behavior. So there’s an argument that even just the impeachment without the conviction acts as somewhat of a deterrent. But it would be better if he had been convicted, even if only punished with a relative slap on the wrist (for this crime - go SDNY, go!).

9 Likes

The only thing I want more than to see Rudy behind bars is to see him turn states witness against tRump. I’m sure Rudy must have a lot of juicy stuff on tRump. I want to see tRump behind bars so bad, I’m willing to forgive Rudy if that will make it so!

4 Likes

“A slavish concern for the composition of words is a sign of a bankrupt intellect!”
-The Humbug, The Phantom Tollbooth

4 Likes

Thucydides wrote on that in a political context in the 400s BC:

Now of course communities have enacted the penalty of death for many offences far lighter than this: still hope leads men to venture, and no one ever yet put himself in peril without the inward conviction that he would succeed in his design. Again, was there ever city rebelling that did not believe that it possessed either in itself or in its alliances resources adequate to the enterprise?

The thing is, getting caught does have to mean something. You can see what kind of thug Trump is just from how he talks – he lies in the most needless and obvious ways, and everyone knows he is lying, and it’s great for him. You can watch his spokesmen make fools of themselves justifying it, and it proves their loyalty and feeds his ego. So it is with his crimes.

Trump doesn’t seem to care much that everyone knows he’s a criminal when the only result is that the Republicans all stand up and say the laws don’t apply to him. He did care that his club lost the PGA championship though and he got kicked off twitter though. It’s not that he cares to risk anything at all, it’s very much the case that there simply haven’t been any penalties for most of the other things he’s done that brought us to this point.

9 Likes

Rudy got the d

1 Like

Right? I was coming in to comment the same thing.

2 Likes

Interesting news on this today. Joe Biden is also sick of talking about the previous administration, and has said as much. Twice. In fact, he’s referring to the former guy as “Former Guy,” and I will do the same.

Former Guy has already ripped off enough people (cough Rudy) and shouldn’t live rent-free in our heads as well.

4 Likes

Yes. But if we hold this lot accountable, we’re likely to do the same next time. Justice matters here. We need to know our systems work. And if the GOP leadership understands that this is unacceptable, perhaps some of them will think about purging the extremes from the party

I get preached at here all the time like my opinions are not arrived thoughtfully, so what’s one more.

Do you think you’re the only one? Do you think the rest of us are enjoying this shit?

5 Likes

I bet it was John Barron.

6 Likes

McConnell is a survivor. Even if this is his last term, he could make life hell for Trump.

Trump has burned out or turned on all of his administration remotely competent people, all of whom have lots of dirt and embarrassing details which they’ll be glad to share with McConnell, so any dust-up between the two is likely to be spectacular.

6 Likes