Trump elected president

Yeah, that’s fair, I’ll edit that - Dems who went with Bernie have a lot less soul searching and a lot more hair pulling to do here.

17 Likes

The lion’s share of the blame. They elected him and endorsed him as their candidate knowing full well how toxic and cynical his victory would be.

13 Likes

“Prosciutto-thin centrist consensus” :+1:

11 Likes

what have you done! Donald trump - president of dumfuckistan.

6 Likes

This is the same America that re-elected George W. Bush, after we knew about the torture. Despicable America is strong.

33 Likes

I have not talked to a single Democrat who actually likes Clinton. She only even had a chance because of just how completely, breathtakingly horrible Trump is. If this election had been almost anyone else on either side, it would have been a landslide victory for that party. Don’t blame Democrats in general for what was the DNC insiders’ mistakes - we’re all locked into this horrible 2-party system, and have no more control over the DNC than we do the GOP.

26 Likes

AP has called it.

https://www.apnews.com/64fbe074e90f44d58fd4f60ea5ee0e6c/The-Latest:-Donald-Trump-elected-president

1 Like

Donald Trump called Ted Cruz a “sniveling coward,” mocked the appearance of his wife and suggested that his father was involved in the Kennedy assassination among other slanders and insults.

Weeks later:

37 Likes

I alternate between “how did this happen?” and “I guess American got what it deserved.” We can’t blame this one just on the racist white dudes - the demographics we expected to save America’s bacon, didn’t.
With Trump in the White House and Republicans controlling congress, he can do what he likes. Given this new normal, I wonder, after 4 years, whether whatever is left of American can be salvaged.[quote=“ActuallyARegular, post:27, topic:89005”]
It’s our fault for not addressing his supporters like they were people, with real concerns and back stories, and families.
[/quote]

No. You know what? Fuck them. Anyone taken in by Trump was an ignorant, stupid, racist asshole. (Or at least two of those things.) There was no getting through to them - facts and reality didn’t matter. Rational argument bounced off. Their “concerns” were often delusional. They knew he was a monster and they simply didn’t care. My only pleasure over the next four years will be seeing how they get fucked over by Trump as he lays waste to the country. And they do have something to lose - his support core wasn’t poor, white America - it was middle class, white America.

67 Likes

Nope, because white women helped too. A lot :rage:

29 Likes

Yesterday, we were a superpower, feared but respected.

Today we are an idiot child with a grenade.

51 Likes

I am not foreseeing a united Republican party in any case. Guys like Cruz ate shit to stay in power, but there are deep divisions.

We all get to live in interesting times.

9 Likes

Well, the “good” thing, if you want to call it like that, is that Trump is a incompetent moron. I don´t think he will stand through his first year, let alone a whole term without being impeached. We may see a constitutional crisis in the first 100 days, maybe a coup d etat by the military and the CIA (who hate Trump). Your guess is as good as mine.
Interesting times…

8 Likes

Don’t forget the empty seat in the Supreme Court. (And possibly more if there’s any retirements.)

I can’t even begin to imagine how much we will backside from this.

20 Likes

Snap!  

4 Likes

If Trump loses, nobody is going to nominate another jerk with no experience for a long time.

If Clinton loses, nobody is going to nominate another former First Lady.

One of these two paths to the presidency has just been eliminated.

AND NOW: Apparently Clinton just conceded. Sorry Michelle.

13 Likes

Fucking A. Spot on.

The establishment of both parties had their fists in this elbows deep, and they really didn’t care what would happen because they will be the same regardless, and they’ll find work in whomever’s administration and for whomever’s TV network. I have long ago lost respect for the Republican Party, so they didn’t have far too fall in my estimation. But establishment Democrats, fuck all of you. You sneered at the average low information voter, ignored progressive activists, insulted progressive voters who preferred another candidate, and, oh yeah, helped install the Democratic candidate who’s been attacked from the left more than any other in recent memory. The establishment Democrats were too neck deep up their own asses to realize that fielding the most polished Democratic establishment candidate the world has ever seen is actually a bad thing, not a good thing.

33 Likes

Oh for fucks sake.

Goodnight everyone, thanks for helping me achieive peak anxiety.

I’m off to sniff ether.

29 Likes

The House, Senate, White House and the Supreme Court will soon all be in the hands of Republicans. They just got the keys to the whole goddamn candy store. I’m not especially optimistic they’re going to push back too hard against the populist demagogue who got them there.

38 Likes

“Fact of the matter is, the poor, white America has little hope in the near future, and even less in the distant future in any America.”

don’t forget the median income of his supporters is 72,000. the trope of poor white folks is just that. i’ll be super interested to see the final demographics.

27 Likes