Trump elected president

Disagree. Yeah, a lot of voters were moved by racist rhetoric, but that just means that Clinton failed to speak to them better.

Fact of the matter seem to be that the poor communities of any color are sort of doomed in today’s economy, and nobody has a plan.

7 Likes

I did Nazi that coming.

25 Likes

It’s like he ignored the entire election cycle.

Or rooted for the deaths of anyone less than pale.

2 Likes

Oh, we here in Germany did. We can recognize these things for some reason…

16 Likes

This is a tough one. It’s hard to blame any individual member of the Democratic Party, especially if you live in a place like California (Uber Alles) where your individual vote doesn’t mean shit in the face of the party apparatus.

I do kind of blame people who are still in the party for sticking with it in the face of everything just because of the two party bullshit where ‘We have to oppose the Republicans no matter what because those bastards are even worse than our bastards’. Well you did that, and it all just melted down in massive failure. This is why I left - but maybe my vote counted for even less than yours. I don’t know there. But at least my conscience is clear - sad consolation in the new Trumpocracy, I know.

I’m not trying to be a dick here, just asking where 30 years of ‘but the other guys are worse’ stands now. The party really has to take a good hard look at itself and ask how it completely squandered the ‘victory’ of Liberalism in the 90s and 00s so the Clintons could rake in more cash.

15 Likes

Actually, don’t overestimate the impact this can have on other countries. While America might like to believe that when it sneezes, the rest of the world gets a cold, the simple fact is that the greatest effect of this on the rest of the world will probably be positive. The US economy will tank (quickly or slowly) to the benefit of other countries. The new obsession with building a huge military will likely start to make the US look like North Korea, economically balance-wise.
Money will be syphoned from social programs into the military, including the dismantling of your new, fair health system.
The refusal to trade with a number of other countries like China will cause a collapse of some US industries whose business model is highly reliant on China as a manufacturing base. Your technological hardware businesses will be hard hit, such as Apple, Microsoft, Acer, etc.
Trumps attitude will focus terrorism threats on the US and away from other countries.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think this is a good thing. But the primary effects will be limited
to your country. You have brought this on yourself, despite all the evidence warning you.

9 Likes

Any advice on how to transition back to a democratic form of government? Asking for a friend.

41 Likes

OKAY THIS MUSIC IS MAKING ME ILL.

Back to clown mode for four years.

We remember Reagan. We remember Dubya.

This is America. This is what it does.

12 Likes

And not just white women, but hispanics, blacks… they may not have voted for Trump to any great degree, but they either didn’t vote, or voted third party in unusually large numbers. That certainly helped get Trump elected. (Though the voter suppression didn’t hurt, either.)

Filling that with someone wildly unsuitable will be part of doing what he likes. But yeah, after that it’ll potentially open up more opportunities to go even more extreme…

The racism was only part of it. The thing is, she did speak to them better - but they either weren’t listening, or they found Trump’s inarticulate non-message more appealing (because they could project onto it). You just can’t compete with that kind of dysfunctional dynamic.

This is so, so much worse though.

24 Likes

Well, last time the Americans helped us…

Oh…

8 Likes

It might increase support for other Trumps though. Here in Austria, we might elect a nutso president in just some weeks. Government is not far behind. We’ll see.

13 Likes

stick tight to good friends no matter what happens

15 Likes

Let’s look at those 38 electoral votes now, and let’s think really hard about how much we need Texas. I think after Elon Musk has is way, maybe not so much…

3 Likes

Yeah, I want them to get back to me four years from now when their lives are so much better. I hope to have the civility not to throw their current gloating back in their faces.

9 Likes

OK, we may have to call in a favor.

6 Likes

I am physically ill. Sick to my stomach.

23 Likes

Trump spoke to a lot of their struggles as factories closed and work left towns like Flint, Michigan. Oh, wait. No. that was Michael Moore who did that. And Bernie Sanders.

34 Likes

I think Jonah Ray’s sentiment reflects my personal feelings about Trump winning. I’m really, really worried. I think a lot of individual liberties will be eroded on in the next two years (at least) with Republicans controlling the executive branch and both houses.

32 Likes

So, Sanders 2020?

I was actually on the other side during the primaries (but not an American anyway, so who cares), but, uh… that might have been the better choice.

2 Likes

Wow, look at the markets… let the Depression begin! I’m terrified.

7 Likes