Trump finally admits Russia was "helping me get elected", then denies it

In all probability the Russians didn’t even really expect to succeed in electing Trump, they just wanted to weaken confidence in the election system and delegitimize Hillary. As you say, they got everything they could have hoped for and more.

15 Likes

Trump: “I got me elected.”

You are right, @HMSGoose.
This is actually an interesting denial. Obviously Trump had a whole campaign team, and volunteers and what not. But he is who got himself elected. Russia’s role was no more than any of his other campaigners, donors, or interest groups who wanted to get Trump elected because of who he is and what he could do for them.

Now you need to deepfake it…

4 Likes

Both Putin’s defense minister and Trump’s UN ambassador declared in 2017 that Russia was waging war on the US. With troops. Look up the constitutional definition of treason.

It’s tone driving trollies. “Yeah, of course you’re factually correct, but your presentation is just so poor.”

Another thing I’m noticing (on reddit) is: whatever criticism is presented, the trollbot replies “Orange Man Bad.” So, a play on “reverse” racism(?) The right is always superb at projecting their own faults onto others. Eg:

5 Likes

If I had the skills, I would.

1 Like

AFAIK, the “Orange Man Bad” thing is a (stupid) attempt at mocking anyone criticizing Trump as a “NPC”, only capable of repeating lines programmed into them.

Of course it’s 100% projection, as always; you’re right about that.

6 Likes

Rule of Acquisition #76:
Every once in a while, declare peace . It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

1 Like

Yeah, clickbait is when you have a very seductive but misleading post title that tricks you into loading a page with content that doesn’t deliver what the title promised but does manage to deliver 88 advertising trackers. This article is a prime example. I came here hoping to see Trump acknowledge Russia’s role in getting him elected, and instead saw that Trump has poor communication skills but a lot of people are down to pretend cynically that his awkward phrasing constitutes said acknowledgement. And of course load 88 advertising trackers.

Er. So, when the title of the article you clicked on is “Trump admits Russia was ‘helping me get elected’, then denies it”, and that’s precisely what occurred, down to the exact quote from the headline, that ain’t clickbait, kid. That’s a factual headline. But feel free to pretend you somehow got duped into clicking on things.

13 Likes

Trump didn’t admit anything in the first case (as I reiterate in the part of my post that you failed to quote), although I certainly see how it’s possible to pretend that he did and proclaim that in order to obtain ad revenue and/or enjoy experiencing outrage. The article is just more evidence for the horseshoe theory – same standard of “news” as Fox News, but it’s for the right cause so it’s okay.

He literally said, in a tweet, that Russia helped him get elected. He used those exact words.
He might not have meant it (because he’s borderline illiterate), but that doesn’t mean he didn’t use those words in a public statement. Which he then deleted, edited, and re-posted with those words intact.

I’m sure Mr Trump will be very happy about your support and glad to hear your apologies for his poor writing skills, comrade; he’ll especially appreciate you equating BoingBoing with Fox News.

14 Likes

His exact words were not “Russia helped me get elected.” They were, “I had nothing to do with Russia helping me to get elected.” You can only construe the latter as an admission with a maximally uncharitable reading. Consequently, the real thrust of this article is “Here, we interpret anything that comes out of Trump in the most uncharitable light possible” rather than “Trump acknowledged Russia’s help with his election.” One of those things would have been interesting, the other is old hat.

I think most people would say quite the opposite. You can only construe that as a continued denial of Russian interference with a maximally charitable reading.

When people ask Buzz Aldrin about his role in faking the moon landing he doesn’t say “I had no part in the fake moon landing,” he says “the moon landing wasn’t faked, you stupid jackass.” (Then sometimes he punches them in the face to help drive home the point.)

21 Likes

Just like matter meeting anti-matter, but it’s a wonder why annihilation hasn’t occurred. Wait! It has! Annihilation of anything ‘good’ and ‘presidential’.

3 Likes

“I had nothing to do with [event Y occuring]” is a tacit acknowledgement that event Y occurred. At least to someone with basic literacy skills. Il Douche may lack those skills, but he can’t fault others for having them.

What’s more pathetic is people who do possess basic literacy skills twisting themselves into pretzels to deny that straightforward interpretation. It takes more than Useful Idiocy to make that effort.

13 Likes

The balanced reading of his tweet is he’s neutral/ambiguous on whether Russia’s helped him get elected; his focus is to continue his monotonous denial of collusion. Gets tiresome filtering out the petty shit that sites try to use to convert partisanship into ad revenue from legitimately interesting news.

When people ask Buzz Aldrin about his role in faking the moon landing he doesn’t say “I had no part in the fake moon landing,”

Closer comparison would be Buzz saying “I had no part in any fake moon landing.” Can’t tell whether or not Buzz acknowledges that any fake moon landing occurred, but he’s clear that he didn’t participate either way. And of course if some rag tried to spin that statement as “Buzz Aldrin acknowledged fake moon landing!” they’d lose credibility.

Well, he always does it on the crapper, so probably not…

6 Likes

Hey, @gracchus, @Brainspore, @nungesser! Quick picking on @green_machine, you meanies! His English just means the opposite of what ours does!

Which reminds me to point out the free ice cream!

8 Likes

What Trump has done in all this is admitted to the simple fact that Russia has meddled and confirmed Mueller’s assertion that the whole debacle was worth looking into. That being acknowledge is imperative to obstruction charges sticking. This will ultimately force the real belief by Republicans that justifies their support of Trump through this whole debacle: they simply do not believe that Russia meddling in our election is an impeachable offense, especially given the history of the US.

3 Likes

Thank you for your service, comrade.

5 Likes