Trump fires VA Sec. Shulkin and tweets his replacement pick: WH doctor Ronny Jackson

I’m sure he will solve all the VA’s problems just like Hirocheeto promised

I’m sure he’s a fine physician and a nice guy but how is he remotely qualified to oversee a budget of almost $200 billion and 377,000 employees?

15 Likes

Private invitation-only (Republican only) auction? Now up for bid, the position of Secretary of the Interior. Bidding starts at $50 million payable in US dollars, Russian rubles, or gold directly to Donald Trump.

4 Likes

Because he declared 45 ‘perfectly healthy’ when most of us can still see, for starters.

Be it opportunism or, as someone else suggested, coercion, many people have reason to believe the good doctor was not being honest.

This appointment has bad optics because it looks like reward for that dishonesty.

He may have had ‘a solid career’ and ‘rock solid creds’, but methinks that’s about to change…

16 Likes

Well, I sincerely hope he helps keep the VA on a steady course of improvement, as I know people who have had mixed success with their services.

Eh, he has some experience as the Medical Unit Director, so it isn’t like he is JUST a doctor. And he’s spent a lot of time IN military medical centers, thus perhaps might be more familiar with their operations than your average executive. But I can’t say for certain whether it is a good or bad appointee.

History shows us, good or bad, he will be there only a year or so anyway.

3 Likes

Massive understatement. Also no policy experience. Better management requires bringing in someone who has a better grasp of management through policy, not someone who has never actually done that.

Even if that’s not true (the Obama administration folks apparently had good things to say about him), he clearly got the job purely because he said nice things about Trump’s health (and genes). That’s not remotely a qualification, even if that were true…

He’s not running a hospital, though. He’s running the VA, which means creating policies that affect the desired changes to the system as a whole. He’s never been a policy guy. As far as we know, he may never have even thought about it on that level.

5 Likes

Clearly? It could be as simple as he’s the only military doctor guy he knows.

Though again, I have no idea how good or bad of fit he is.

Transportation Secretary’s family smuggles cocaine. Lord Dampunts isn’t going to cut off his own supply for a chauffeur…

5 Likes

It’s a low bar to be sure, but I’d say he’s one of the cheeto-in-chief’s better picks!

4 Likes

No need anymore. Just no need.

1 Like

That’s probably also true, but not sufficient to get him the job. Trump consistently rewards completely unqualified fawners - actually having any relevant knowledge at all is irrelevant to him.

2 Likes

This could be as simple as him letting Trump pick out TWO Paw Patrol stickers after his check up.

6 Likes

Which number is greater: The number of fired WH staff or the number of times Queen sings the line, “Another one bites the dust”?

1 Like

He’s not obviously a criminal and/or out to destroy the organization he’s been put in charge of, so that by itself puts him in the top tier of Trump picks. Maybe he’s not the best possible pick for the job, but he’s probably the best Trump could get. There’s way worse things to be worrying about.

2 Likes

Let’s count…

TheBestPeople

7 Likes

Sorry, all out of rage for today. Bzzzzt.

You know what I want? I want a major Twitter outage. Like for a week, just something goes way wrong, servers are DDOSed or something. Quiet the beast for a few days, let us rest and catch up on other shit.

2 Likes

What’s the over/under on how long this guy lasts before he too gets fired?

Is Vegas taking odds on who gets shit-canned next?

There were rumors that he was tapping his personal pilot to lead the FAA, so this seems like a logical thing to do.

ETA
https://www.axios.com/exclusive-trump-privately-pushing-personal-pilot-to-run-faa-1519595187-5a735cc4-63e6-4348-b980-1aadf0b8e80d.html

1 Like

Secretary of Agriculture?

4 Likes

Stormy Daniels could be right now the Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts if she had been a little nicer to the Donald.

8 Likes