Trump goes to war (on a tire manufacturer)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/19/trump-goes-to-war-on-a-tire-m.html

7 Likes

Hmm. I am the first to poke fun at MAGA hats, and I am -sure- they’re bad or polarizing for business almost everywhere in the US now, but I think Michelin (Edit: Goodyear, whoever, sorry!) is on the slippery slope here.

1 Like

As a Canadian sitting back and watching the show, “Radical Democrats” made me chuckle. Many Americans thought Bernie was too ‘radical’ for proposing things that lots of other 1st world countries have been doing well for decades, while Biden’s policies are closer to our fringe-right PPC party (1.6% of votes) than our mainstream Conservative party (31.9% of votes).

30 Likes

Does not calling for a ban on an American tire company fall into the same violation as endorsing an American bean company?

35 Likes

Its Goodyear, not Michelin.

3 Likes

Sludge read the whole post.

3 Likes

That may be, but the post is not about a policy that Michelin has which may be a slippery slope. The post is about a policy that Good Year has that may be a slippery slope.

Myself, I see nothing wrong with the policy. MAGA is a political campaign, BLM is a social movement. If the goal is to keep politics out of the work place then there is no problem. If the goal is to politicize social movements or public health, then a ban is appropriate.

6 Likes

I assumed he was making a crack about buying French tires, rather than mistaking them for Goodyear. Problem with making assumptions, I guess.

4 Likes

Why can’t all the gassy blimps just get along?

13 Likes

That the POTUS is going after a business over a fucking hat is just insane.

(Yeah, I know that hat is the new Klan hood)

23 Likes

Yeah, you’re talking to the choir here. Most of us know we have a center-right party (the Democrats) and a radically far-right party (the Republicans). Bernie is moderate by most first world country standards. We are, in fact, the richest third world nation around, so I guess that explains it.

15 Likes

Biting the hand that feeds him:

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.php?cmte=C00100131&cycle=2020

9 Likes

This is bad news for Trump supporters who are considering changing the tires on the two and a half dead cars they have on their front yard.

17 Likes

They were going to buy Cooper “tires” anyways.

Edit: On further reflection, I would expect MAGA types to buy cheap Chinese-made tires without a hint of irony, shame or introspection.

21 Likes

Exactly. If BLM has become a de facto political movement, in the sense that it implicitly endorses on political party over another, that’s Trump’s fault for deliberately making a political enemy of it.

11 Likes

I am thinking of the odd sized tires that are only made by Goodyear and approved by relevant authorities. (Tires for Boeing, Bombardier, Airbus, …, 50+ year old cars.)

9 Likes

Anyway, I am against mascot cruelty, so this works for me on different levels…

6 Likes

To be fair, the president is being consistent on his main message: No, you will not have a good year.

21 Likes

Looks like Goodyear is on the right side. I guess that’s a step in the right direction.

3 Likes

First, they banned all political items. Second, those red hats are very useful to know if the other PC has low INT and WIS attributes, use your CHA and STR stats for persuasion.

16 Likes