Trump: 'I think you'd have riots' and 'bad things' if I'm not GOP nominee

Wait a moment, there will be riots even if he doesn’t actually get enough delegates? I am pretty sure that’s not how it is supposed to work.

12 Likes

Oh good, you noticed that too?

4 Likes

Basically, the GOP leadership have found themselves in a place they didn’t ever envision: they have a candidate who is wildly popular with a large part of their base, who gets tons of free publicity, but who they don’t want to win the nomination. This is new and unpredictable territory, and there isn’t a consensus on what to do. It’s like Trump has grabbed the steering wheel, and now that they’re all going 100 mph nobody is willing to risk killing everyone in the car, even though he’ll probably crash anyway. They’re keeping their fingers crossed that he’s a good driver and not just lucky.

So, does the RNC like direct physical threats? No. But I think that at this point they probably have to stick with Trump-- whether he wins or loses the general election they might still be able to keep the party together (blame the old standbys: liberal media bias, voter fraud, etc.), but if they try to stop him they will completely disenfranchise their base and handicap the party, it could even hurt them in mid-term elections (I can definitely see huge numbers of Trumplidites™ giving up on the GOP and all politics in disgust.) Of course a Trump Presidency, should he win, might also ruin the party, but they are probably trying not to think that far ahead.

12 Likes

Upset? Perhaps, but that does not mean that riots would be justified. As much as it offends some people’s ochlocratic sensibilities, there is no requirement that the candidate with the plurality of the delegates is nominated. The conventions are intentionally more complex than that. If they feel that they have somehow been wronged by a brokered convention, then they can always not vote Republican.

7 Likes

Yup if they don’t like a two party system, they can always make their own parties.

3 Likes

Add him to the list.

1 Like

True good point. Neither are riots justified in response to someone you don’t like visiting your city, no? Also if anyone cares this is the statement that Trump is responding to:

““The media has created the perception that the voters choose the nomination. That’s the conflict here,” Curly Haugland, an unbound GOP delegate from North Dakota, told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on Wednesday. He even questioned why primaries and caucuses are held.”"

I would say its not “the media” that created “this perception” but the system of Representative Democracy we have had in our Republic since 1789. So i think he made such a blunt and inflammatory statement in response to an equally blunt and inflammatory remark from the Delegate in question.

http://www.zerocensorship.com/t/uncensored-donald-trump/241932-senior-gop-official-curly-haugland-we-choose-the-nominee-not-the-voters-video

2 Likes

Ha!-- Is he just thinking out loud, or is he slyly suggesting something to his fan base?

6 Likes

Part of me wonders if they’ll try to run Cruz as an independent if Trump gets the nomination, and whether Cruz would go along with it. Cruz wants the presidency something awful, but I think he knows that splitting the GOP would permanently weaken his power base. In what sick universe am I hoping for the Koch brothers to save the country? Fuuuuuuuuk!!!

Well, I did what little I could to stop him. 2008 was the only year I voted the Democratic ballot in the primary season. For a change, it wasn’t just a vote against one candidate (Clinton), but also a vote for another (Obama, before we found out what an imperialist prick he really is). Usually when I vote in the Republican primary, it’s for the weakest candidate to help them lose in November. This year there’s a more important candidate to stop than Clinton. So I cast for Kasich to nudge one more delegate away from Trump and Cruz. I know, I should have voted for Cruz; he has a better shot at stopping Trump. But as bad a taste as voting for Kasich left in my mouth, voting for Cruz would have given me nightmares. Great Gazoo I hate voting!

If a year ago someone had told me I’d be entertaining the notion of voting for Cruz in the primary, and that Mitch McConnell perverting the Constitution to flat-out block any Supreme Court nominee wouldn’t be the worst shitstorm in the Republican Party, I would have laughed in their face, then worriedly asked if Limbaugh was finally going to run. I literally could not imagine anything this deranged. I’m almost afraid to say the GOP can’t get any worse because I’ve said that in the past and look where that got us.

Mind you I’m not surprised Trump is on track win the nom. I just assumed all the other candidates would eat each other alive, and they have, but Trump’s supporters are starting to really freak me the fuck out. I originally planned to vote for Trump in the primary and watch him destroy the GOP while the Dems took the White House. Now the prospect of him making it to the general is too disturbing.

8 Likes

13 Likes

Since It is possible that Trump may soon show up in my city I think it would be wise that if they counter protest , the gathering should be in a separate location. If the media is notified it won’t make any difference exactly where you show up to vote with your presence. Trump can say 10,000 showed up for his rally, but if 30,000 show up for an anti Trump rally 2 miles away, the point would be made with no nasty interaction. Both sides can have their meeting and enjoy a peacefull statement.

6 Likes

11 Likes

I dunno. My experience says people are capable of much worse than you would expect and at least 20% of em are just awful. Trump does seem to have that 20% locked down.

I’m making popcorn.

15 Likes

If Trump supporters decide to argue that Trump is right, that likewise tells us everything we need to know about them!

8 Likes

I think the Republicans will go one or two more rounds of primaries, just to be sure that Trump is the man, and then the full apparatus will swing in place behind him as their candidate. They will simply deny anything that has happened up to that date and insist that Trump has always been their man and has never said or done any of the things that he has said or done. Within two weeks after that date it will seem that Trump was always the preferred candidate and anything he said in the past was very long ago. Anyone who objects will be cast as being anti-American because they don’t want America to be great again.

16 Likes

right??? he’s a sly one.

I’ve already seen this from republicans that I know - one of which was a huge Cruz supporter and voted for Trump yesterday because ‘reasons’.

This after admitting he (Trump) was a racist and the worst sterotype of all the bad things people want to call the republican party. He voted for Trump and feels like the party itself is falling apart - but still voted… for Trump.

And so it goes.

6 Likes
2 Likes