Trump: 'I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter'

The man is nuts and he could get a lot of people killed.

I’ve been saying exactly that since he got elected. It’s only now that the mechanism has revealed itself…

What’s interesting in all this is how Trump is positioning himself to avoid all blame. Shelter in place orders are being done on a state-by-state basis*, so all Trump can do is complain that states are doing it and ask them not to, really. But by doing so, he moves blame of economic collapse onto governors (“If those democrat governors had opened the states when I told them to, the economy would be great!”), while also refusing to accept blame for deaths no matter what happens. If Trump gets his way, we’ll have mass deaths and economic collapse, and he’ll still avoid responsibility because it’s “the state’s fault.”

*Which is creating its own problems: only 15 states have any kind of shutdowns, so the approach is not effective on a national level, and the states that aren’t doing it now might feel the need to do it later as their cases increase. Which means different parts of the country will be shut down at different times, prolonging problems. If states like California do manage to get the virus under some kind of control, it’ll happen just as the virus is exploding in other states that are open and with residents who will bring it back.

21 Likes

tumblr_oxzwj8hnml1vaqoiqo1_400

26 Likes

I got to agree with the guy. Wouldn’t it be nice if the was all gone by Easter?

4 Likes

Trump’s evangelicals are doing all they can to bring on the End Times.

21 Likes

I’ll be the first to click like. He can just fuck right off into the void.

2 Likes

It absolutely would be nice But That’s not the same as a realistic assessment of the situation. Rather, I’d say planning for an epic July 1st/4th (depending on Canada or US) is being optimistic. Thinking it could be done by Easter is just insane.

5 Likes

24 Likes

No. This is that stupid “herd immunity” bullshit that has no scientific founding, as far as disseas spread goes. It also is in a country where doctors commonly have “the good talk” with old folks. Rudd is meanwhile saying they have no capacity to test, while doctors in the country say they have enough lab capacity. I would not call that a sane approach.

9 Likes

I’m not sure that I would call “I would like” the equivalent of demanding…

1 Like

…you mean in countries with nationalized healthcare? and a decent social safety net?

I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that what the Dutch are doing is necessarily that different

That’s a quote from a Professor of Immunology in the link you posted. The Dutch are essentially deploying the same strategy that is being used across the US, but they have a more robust health system, with less federal/state bureaucracy to slow down coordination.

Here in the US, more and more healthy people will return to work in places where the curve is flattened, and people will continue to get the virus, but at a low enough rate that the local health systems can cope with it. The Dutch are probably ahead in this respect, but they have better infrastructure in place to handle the crisis. We should be so fortunate.

6 Likes

Damn it - did the reporter ask WHY Easter is a special day for him?

50/50 shot he doesn’t know what Easter is about.

18 Likes

It’s almost as if capitalized medicine is designed to let the poor die and to have the minimum possible capacity at the greatest possible expense.

While socialized medicine is designed to serve the function of providing the best possible healthcare to the most people.

27 Likes

Yeah, I waited for flames or a bolt of lightning during the inauguration, but nothing happened. Maybe they just used a copy of his book wrapped in a bible book jacket. :thinking:

11 Likes

Germany would be a far better model I think, since they are actually testing, and have a better curve as far as rates go.

(A sentiment shared by a friend sitting in a Dutch harbor, with ships flying yellow flags around.)

9 Likes

USA would love to have a real POTUS.

FACT!

23 Likes

I think it is a Hobbit thing; like First Breakfast and Second Breakfast.

@glowend So the Dutch are going for “herd immunity”, but practising “social distancing”? That seems a bit schizophrenic.

@Mister44 Trump, “Bunnies! The best Bunnies! Like Hugh Hefner! The Best!”

6 Likes

“There was a lot of dry coughs”

10 Likes

22 Likes

okay more gratuitous bun photos please

it’s like a unicorn chaser for this nightmare of a year

19 Likes

Jesus needs to come back if only to smack 45’s lips off.

It’s the bunny holiday, right? Trump’s a big fan of bunnies.

20 Likes