Trump is the likable buffoon that GW Bush prepared us for

who would have thought W would win?

4 Likes

Iā€™m partial to John Scalziā€™s description of Cruz: ā€œan odious fistula that walks the earth in a human skinā€.

2 Likes

Well, that was kind of FDRā€™s thing, wasnā€™t it? That heā€™d fix the depression by his and his appointeesā€™ clever new ideas that seemed very weird to most of the populace and involved greatly expanding the role of the Federal government. And basically the goal of Republicans is to restore the small pre-FDR government (with exceptions for the expanded military and intelligence services, of course).

2 Likes

The comment thread on the linked article made my brain explode with impotent rage.

FTFY! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I know, right?

I dunno, I always suspected W wasnā€™t as dumb as he looked. Largely because I found it hard to believe anyone could make it to the White House if they were genuinely as dumb as he looked.

Also, if you look back at footage from Wā€™s earliest forays in politics he actually had trouble connecting with Texas voters because he came off as the snooty know-it-all kid from Yale next to the folksy good olā€™ boy local candidates. He only started winning over voters when he adopted a subtle drawl and started dumbing down his speeches.

@shaddack @daneel do those folks want to deal with the US tax code and FATCA as well as all the nonsense of being an overseas voter?

I have to deal with that crap and I donā€™t even get a vote.

1 Like

When does that happen?

4 Likes

Any links to this footage?

Of course, coming off as a snooty know-it-all kid from Yale doesnā€™t mean one isnā€™t an imbecile.

3 Likes

This last debate was an embarrassment. The only guy who behaves like someone who should be leading a summer camp, let alone the country, is Kasich. Cruz is next in the behavior camp, who put some space between himself and Rubio who is a distant second to Trump.

Watching this itā€™s hard to believe this is what we have become.

1 Like

BB loves to hate on Trump, but if you cut through the media hate and look around for actual information, there are good reasons for Trumpā€™s appeal. In my case, Iā€™m a Bernie supporter primarily. I think heā€™s absolutely the best choice for the future of the country. Heā€™s not getting enough support though. If I canā€™t get Bernie, Iā€™ll take Trump as a consolation prize. He may not be the best choice for the country, but Iā€™ll benefit directly from a Trump presidency. It comes down to three of his major stances that he shares with Bernie no less! Heā€™s against the TPP, anti-war (despite the bluster), and against H1B visa abuse. The latter in particular strongly depresses salaries in my field. When people wonder why Iā€™d take Trump over Hillary, thatā€™s why. Hillary would ram through the TPP, support the current level of warfare, and ignore H1B visasā€¦and I canā€™t even trust her given her record. Iā€™m white. Race issues are not a major issue for me. I donā€™t care about Trumpā€™s wall or Bernieā€™s civil rights stances to any significant degree. I like that Bernie wants to make progress on that front, but three issues I hit on are far more important to me. So there you have it Dems. Vote in Bernie or Iā€™ll help vote in Trump. Perhaps BB should be promoting Bernie rather than Trump. Any attention only seems to help Trump.

I canā€™t remember where I first saw it, I think it might have been a Frontline documentary. But hereā€™s a summary of that 1978 congressional race:

1 Like

That is just a very gentle appraisal of Aberdeen.

The Trump crit and that of the lead in to it, of Ian Woodā€™s park-destroying, carparkian ambitions, are as wonderfully vicious as they are needed.

Oil carries heavy sway in Aberdeen and the accompanying, gangrenous infection of protest conservatism leans in drunkenly, suckling into the MacDonaldā€™s lap. People embrace the cor-parasitic influence of money in Aberdeen, even when it refuses to invest in the well being of the city, and seemingly especially when it seeks to infect the place with the same greedy sickness thatā€™s slurped out of the strata offshore.

:frowning:

1 Like

I donā€™t buy the ā€œBush Was an Idiotā€ spiel. He and Dick Cheney were intelligent enough. Instead, they suffered from that special form of mental impairment known as ideological blindness. For instance, say that France has come up with a cheap new form of public transportation that uses existing infrastructure and saves billions. Well, screw the French! They can take their fromage surrendering cheese monkey and beret it back to Pepe Lepew!!

This can be the response of someone who clearly understands the implications of what the French have brought to a public service, but wonā€™t seriously entertain implementing it because they hated that Godard film they had to sit through in college.

This is a trap than anyone can fall into, conservative or otherwise.

1 Like

The people The Onion interviewed back in 2012 seemed to like his style. Though they got the color off a little bit.

2 Likes

Youā€™d like to sell us a bridge in Brooklyn, right?

1 Like

I do not currently own any Brooklyn bridges to sell nor do I have any intention of entering the speculative bridge market. I understand electing Trump will lead to a river of tears. Youā€™ll have to find another way to get over it.