Trump keeps confusing “Silence of the Lambs” with “My Dinner with Andre”

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/13/trump-keeps-confusing-silence-of-the-lambs-with-my-dinner-with-andre.html

7 Likes

“people who are being released into our country that we don’t want.”

They have poor taste? Sorry Charlie…

4 Likes

“Not sure we fully understand the context of that.”

The context is that he’s a thuggish hack, a lazy thinker who thinks his followers will enjoy his rambling “jokes” glorifying famous fictional and real-life psychopaths who he heard got away with murder. Al Capone, whom he calls “the great gangster”, is another frequent reference

In 2024, this should be obvious to Acosta and anyone who seriously follows politics. However, many corporate media personalities are still too craven to call a thing what it is and instead find it easier to pretend they’re perplexed.

22 Likes

Trump is referencing Hannibal Lecter’s final line in The Silence of the Lambs, when Lecter ends a phone call with Clarice Starling by saying, “I do wish we could chat longer, but I’m having an old friend for dinner.”

10 Likes

Which only means that in addition to his other horrible qualities he’s also that most despised species of hack comedian, the joke thief.

13 Likes

Yep. When you’re trying to turn a country into an authoritarian kleptocracy, you condition people to accept that by telling them to admire violent criminals.

I suppose we’re lucky Trump isn’t telling people how great Jason Voorhees or Freddy Kreuger are – but we already see too many Republicans who tell us Tim McVeigh and Adolf Hitler weren’t that bad…

7 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing, Captain!

captain obvious hotels.com GIF

7 Likes

Acosta didn’t get the joke?

5 Likes

The appeals to the movie read as a transphobic dogwhistle.

When first Trump mentioned Hannibal Lecter, he segued into talking about immigration: "we have people that are being released into our country that we don’t want in our country … " So that made a kind of sense: he was apparently implying we’re letting in people like Hannibal Lecter. I read the reference to Lecter as “great” as ironic. But who knows: he emits word salad.

3 Likes

Doesn’t everybody make that mistake?

I think Jim Acosta gets the line. He probably saw it in 1991 with the rest of us. I think he’s befuddled as to why the orange menace keeps mentioning it.

“Apparently, he did it again this morning,” he added. “Not sure we fully understand the context of that.”

I can only assume that the Orange Dipshit finally saw the movie and is now fully obsessed with it.

@GagHalfrunt

He’s so taken with the joke that he says it three times. He thinks that it’s an amazingly brilliant pun, perhaps because he took a while to understand it.

Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

He’s like that crazy grandpa who keeps repeating the same joke, hoping that you’ll finally realize how witty he is.

I think you are giving him way too much credit. He would have to understand irony.

I agree with @gracchus – Trump is simply a sucker for narcissistic psychopaths.

6 Likes

He told us years ago, he wants to be the man who can shoot someone in broad daylight, and not lose supporters.

3 Likes